29. A Human Shield

A/N. Buckle up readers.  Violence ahead.  And because I'm kind, I'm uploading two chapters just so you're not left hanging on one particular question.

Elijah

I woke up in the morning to 8 texts from Ryan.

Idiot (10:33pm): I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for you to get involved. And it's really not as bad as you think.

Idiot (10:52pm): Please say something.

Idiot (11:30pm): I don't now, nor have I ever done or sold drugs. Please believe me.

Idiot (12:14am): I'm at the Rec. On my own.

Idiot (12:47am): I don't like it when you're mad at me. Please text me.

Idiot (1:03am): Being in the park isn't the same without you.

Idiot (1:05am): I'm gonna make it up to you I promise.

Idiot (1:10am): See you tomorrow.

I would have been awake when most of them were sent, but I'd put my phone on silent. I'm glad I did though because I would have probably caved at the second text. Once I'd calmed down and the panic attack had receded, I started to think that maybe I'd over reacted. Just a little though, because I still thought I had every right to be mad at him.

But it was good that I was making him squirm, although I would give him a chance to explain, he deserved that. I knew when I became his friend that his family was far from perfect, and it's not surprising that he got caught up in bad things, but that didn't make him a bad person.

It wasn't until I'd arrived at school that I realised that thinking about Ryan had made me totally forget about the other pressing issue of the day - Franz and stopping him from getting beat up.

I found him by his locker.

"Hey Franz, you ok?"

He looked nervous and jumpy. And like he didn't get much sleep last night.

"I'm ok," he said, unconvincingly. "Did you speak to Ryan?"

I cringed at the thought of giving him more bad news, but then something occurred to me. Ryan was desperate to apologise. Which meant that I could probably get him to do something to earn my forgiveness.

"I think I have a way to get him to help!" I said excitedly, fishing out my phone.

"Did he not agree to help?" Franz asked rather alarmed.

I shrugged. "He wouldn't really commit, but I think I can change that. Where are you supposed to be meeting Billy?"

"Round the back of the science block."

I opened up a message to him.

If you want me to forgive you, meet me at lunch time round the back of the science block. This is your last chance.

I hit send.

"Will he come?" Franz asked.

"I'm pretty sure he will," I replied.

First period came by and went. Followed by break, and then second period. And Ryan had still not texted me back.

What if he wasn't in today?

What if he was ill?

What if something had happened to him at The Rec last night?

I suddenly started feeling very panicky. I stuck my hand up.