43. I Didn't Care At All (final)

A/N - This is the song that Ryan is referring to, that he uses as inspiration for his piece.  This chapter will make more sense if you watch it :)

This is the second update of the day.

Ryan

"NATE!!!! WHERE'S MY FUCKING TIE?!!"

I tore through the piles of clothes on the floor, trying desperately to see the familiar blue, green and white stripes.

"What tie?" Nate said, putting his head round the door.

If I didn't already think he was to blame, that ridiculous question would have just sealed his fate.

I jumped up and gripped him by the collar.

"What the fuck have you done with it?" I growled. "Is this it?" I said, gripping onto the one he was wearing and pulling it upwards so it started to choke him.

Nate ripped it out of my hands.

"Fuck off, this one's mine," he said with a scowl on his face. "Look, it has the rip in it, remember?" he said, showing me the end of the tie.

I had to concede that it was definitely not the tie Elijah gave me.

"So where is it then?" I asked. "I know you know something so you better spill now."

Nate's eyes widened.

"Look I'm not messing, just tell me," I growled at him.

"Ok," he said, holding his hands up. "But don't get mad."

"I'm not making any promises, now just tell me!"

Nate sighed.

"Well you know how it's my job to put the bedding through the wash?"

I nodded. Since mum had left, under the organisation of Lara, some of the chores that mum used to do had been split up between us.

"Ok, well I didn't realise that I sort of gathered up the tie with the bedding. And......and it kind of went through the tumble drier."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I knew from previous experience what the tumble dryer did to a cheap polyester tie.

"Nate, you fucking knew what that tie meant to me!" I said, feeling the anger start to pump through my body.

"I know, I know, and I'm sorry!!" he said frantically, putting his hands up in front of him in a bid to keep me calm.

"You're so fucking dead!" I said, then watched as he shot out through the door.

I gave him a couple of seconds head start then tore after him, running down the stairs, and then almost colliding with him in the lounge.

He had his phone to his ear, which he dropped in surprise when I came to a stop, just inches from him.

"You are so fucking- "

"WAIT!! ELIJAH'S ON THE PHONE!!"

I stopped and looked at his phone that was lying on the floor, and sure enough, it was lit up with Elijah's name on it.

I went over and picked it up.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey! What's going on?"

"Just give me a second babe,"

I slid the phone into my pocket to muffle the sound, then turned to face Nate.