Chapter 32 - The funeral

I carried myself through the past couple of days with the support of Rover and Felix. It was tense in certain moments but they made an effort to not argue when I was around. It's the day of the funeral, last night they decided to call a doctor because I wasn't coping well. Now I am dragging myself through this day in a sedated, emotionless blur.

We are all out on the cemetery, the whole force, friends and a lot of people I don't know at all. Guess my parents were really loved here. They all are looking suspiciously at Rover and Felix. Rover is wearing his VP jacket, not what most people here expect on a funeral. I don't care at all, he is by my side in every moment, he undergoes my crying, hysterical or just sobbing without saying a word. He simply comforts me the best he can.

As the funeral is over we stand next to the grave of my parents, the most horrible moment I ever could imagine occurs. All people at the funeral line up to greet the grave and offer their condolences to me. If I wasn't numb, I would have run away for sure.

Felix and Rover are standing right next to me, their eyes filled with concern and regret. The last person in the line looks different as if he doesn't belong here. He is the only person that greets Felix. He whispers something at him, but I can clearly understand him. "Bones" He addresses Felix. "Bullet." Felix replies. And then he turns to me. "Alex I am so sorry for your loss." He stares Rover death in the eye and as he walks away I can see that he is also wearing a VP Jacket, but from the bone collectors.

Before I can say anything Rover and Felix drag me over to the car.

As I walk up to my front door I notice a letter addressed to Aleksa. It's the same writing as the first letter I received. I take the letter up before the boys notice it and walk inside. I walk over to my room and lock the door.

-

Dear Aleksa,

When you're reading this letter something horrible has happened. Give me a chance to explain.

By now you should have met your father Ranger. He's a wonderful man. He will do whatever it takes to protect you, his baby girl, you Aleksa. I however am not a wonderful woman, in fact I am an awful person.

I thought that by taking you away from him, your life would be much better. And it was so until I made a mistake. I was in deep debt with the bone collectors and I saw no other way out it. I hope that someday you can find it in your heart to forgive me, but I traded you for my debts. You belong to the president of the bone collectors and his sons Johnny, Bullet and Bones. You're their property.

All my life I did everything to correct this mistake, but if you have received this letter, then I have failed.

My last hope is that your father will protect you and fix my mistake, like he always has. But then I needed to be sure that you were by his side.

Aleksa, I am truly sorry for what happened to your adoptive parents, but I needed to be sure that you would stay at Rangers side.

I hope one day you may forgive me.

I hope that your father can keep you save.

You are my universe, my whole world.

I will always love you.

Mom.

-

I crack, this is all too much. I can't deal with this. I want to be left alone. I want to grieve and morn my parents. I want them alive and by my side. Tears stream down my face as I look full of hate at the letter. My mother was a horrible person, she destroyed so many lives.

But if this letter is telling the truth then I need to leave as soon as possible.

That will mean I'll lose Felix for good. I can't stay with Felix, I can't be someone's property. Johnny didn't seem like the kind of guy that would treat me with respect.

I need to think, I jump in the shower and let the hot water wash away my tears. As I get out of the shower I take another of those calming pills. I need my emotions under control.

I look at my room and gather the things I will need the most. Maybe I can come back when things have calmed down, but right now I don't feel like staying here. Especially with my freedom at stake.

As I walk downstairs with my bag in my hand I hear Rover and Felix arguing.

"She is coming with me." Felix commands. I can feel the anger in his voice. "Don't you think that's up to her?" Rover replies stone cold. "I have been her best friend for the last year, it's not even up for discussion." Felix adds. "Really? Cause all I have seen from you the last couple of months was the ability to make her miserable, to make her cry in seconds. You almost guilt tripped her in coming back using her parents for your own good." Rover says stern. "You aren't good for her." Felix spats back. "And that's why she will be coming with me." He adds.

"I won't Felix." Both guys look startled at me as I enter the living room. Felix looks confused at me. "I am leaving now with Rover." I add. "Fox, don't. Think about it, we are best friends." He almost pleads. "I don't want to argue about this Felix. You are not interested in friendship, you made that pretty clear." Rover walks over and takes my bag. "You slept with him didn't you?" Felix hisses between his teeth. I look at him deathly calm, luckily I took one of those pills. "You lied twice to me, didn't you?" I retort back.

Felix looks baffled at me, I can see that he clearly has no idea what I am talking about. "Bones" I walk at him and press a soft kiss on his cheek. "Bye Felix."

And with that I walk out his live, hoping that I would be free.

Little did I know about the storm that was coming my way.