Chapter 17 - Family is everything

Maybe it is just the fact that all guys are looking at me. I am so not used to all the attention. "So you have met Boulder, my brother. Our Sergeant at Arms and Treasurer. Rover our VP, Wolf our Secretary, Gray one of our Enforcers. Tank, Hawk, Iron, Texas, Tiny, Mac and Dodger and finally Smokey and Snake two of our prospects" Ranger says. I shake hands with each man and hand them a drink and a snack. 

"If one of you disrespects her or hurt her" Ranger says. Dramatic pause, is he looking right at Rover? "You can hand in your patch." "And I'll make sure you aren't able to reproduce." Boulder adds. They all laugh and the nervous feeling starts to ebb away. "Let's just hope she's a better cook then her old man. " Wolf says. All men start to laugh again. "Well let's just hope I don't burn your sausage." I say it casually and at a wink. Wolf's head turn almost bright red. They all laugh again.

"Come on doll, I'll help you with the fire." Boulder says. we walk over towards the barbecue. Boulder, the big man he is, can't help himself he insists on starting the fire. I look at him while he starts with the coals and I snicker. I let him wrestle for about 15 minutes. "It's really nice Boulder, but I've got this." It only takes me five minutes and I have a booming fire. "You are a woman of many talents, you know that?" He says with a smile on his face. I answer with one of my own. 

Ranger walks over with a drink in his hand. "Wow Boulder, that's actually a pretty nice fire." He says. I grin. "Wipe that stupid grin of your face, will you?" Boulder says mockingly angry. "You are perfect." Ranger says to me. "Yeah she is." Boulder confirms. "Stop it both of you, I don't need to cry. You are supposed to be the tough guys." I answer. "That doesn't mean we love our family." Boulder says. "Family is everything." Ranger answers.

 Ranger pulls me against his chest. He is nothing like my father and yet at the same time he is my father. Am I allowed to feel this happy. Won't it hurt my father's feeling? What do I call him? Ranger? Pres? Dad? I am so confused right now. "Do you need any help?" Boulder asks. "You can go fetch the meat and the salads." I answer. Boulder whistles and the two prospects come running at us. "Smokey, fetch the meat from the fridge. Snake be a doll and pour everybody a drink. If Lex asks you anything you oblige, got It." Boulder commands and the two prospects run off. "You sure you've got this?" Ranger asks. "Yeah Ranger I am sure." I can see a bit of hurt in his eyes, but he quickly recovers. "Now go and have fun, I'll join you guys when the food is ready." I tell him.

They are all sitting at a large table laughing and joking about each other. I can feel how Rover watches me every now and then. I place the meat on the grill and all delicious flavors fill the air. Memories flood my mind, every Sunday when the weather was decent, it was a family tradition to have a barbecue. I begged my dad Sunday after Sunday until he finally caved and learned me how to grill. I always loved our moments together at the barbecue, I wonder is there any change I will ever have that kind of bound with Ranger? 

The prospects place the salads on the table and I walk over with the grilled meat. I feel all eyes on me. Although I cooked myself, it smells so good. I place the plates on the table and take a seat between Ranger and Boulder. I smile at them and watch as the men divide the food. Boulder places a little piece of meat on my plate and I look up at him. "Is that all?" I ask him. All the guys look at me. "You girls eat mostly salads, don't you?" Boulder answers. "You can give me the flank steak." I answer. He looks at the plate of meat and back at me. He clearly has no clue about what I am talking. I take the plate and take the steak. He still looks baffled at me. I cut it in half and give a piece to Ranger, his eyes are filled with admiration. "That looked like the best piece on the whole damn plate." Boulder whines. I cut a really small slice of it and place it on Boulders plate and smile innocently at him. Everybody is quite. Until Ranger starts to laugh and all men join him. They all devour my food. "Damn baby girl, that' s by far the best steak I ever ate." Ranger says. "Can we keep her?" Wolf asks. Ranger smiles at me and squeezes my hand.