Chapter 4 - The bet

Felix puts his hand on my back and takes my other and places it on his chest. "Did you really meant that?" I ask him. "Every word of it." He softly whispers in my ear. I place my head in the crook of his neck and softly dance with him. Time passes as we are dancing and having fun together. Until suddenly someone touches my shoulder. I turn around and look at the intruder. "Jake?" I stammer. 

"Hi Alex, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday." He says. He places three kisses on my cheek and smiles at me. I don't know what's happening and this time I am definitely not dreaming. I can feel Felix coming closer to me and tensing. He is giving Jake the evil eye. Jake seems to wait for something. "What are you waiting for?" Felix asks him sharp. "The next song." Jake answers with a small smile. A slow song starts and I can see Felix starring daggers at Jake. 

"May I have this dance?" Jake asks. Fuck, this birthday can't become any better. "Yeah, sure." I almost whisper. His strong arms wrap around my body and we start to dance. It's funny cause I don't feel at ease or save at all as I did with Felix. I can feel how he studies my face. He is clearly thinking about something. "I am sorry it took me so long." He finally says. I look up at him. "What do you mean?" I ask. "Gather the courage to stand up to Felix." I am confused as hell, what is he talking about. "I don't think I can follow." Jake looks over at Felix. "He will probably kill me for this, but I have to tell you how I feel. Since the first day of this school year I have wanted to ask you out. But Felix became your best friend and he forbade every guy who wanted to make a move on you to even try. He even made me take Aria, I hate the girl she is so fake." I look shocked at him; I didn't see this coming. Could it be possible that Jake is telling the truth? "So, can I ask you out on a date?" he asks. "Why now?" "You are beautiful and definitely the most beautiful girl of the prom. I have already wasted so much time. I don't want to waste another second." Jake answers me. As the song comes to an end, I say to him; "I think I need to talk to Felix first." He nods and let me go.

I spot Felix at the bar, he looks angry. I walk over and look at him. "There you are, I think we need to talk." I place myself on the barstool right in front of him. He just orders another drink. I study him for a couple of minutes and can help overhear the conversation between two guys behind me. The guys took place right behind us, so I am back to back with one of them. I recognized them as being Jake's best friends. As I wait for an answer from Felix, I hear them talk to each other. "Do you think he can pull it off?" "Get het most beautiful girl of the prom in his bed?" The other guy asked. "Who do you think it will be? Aria or Lori." "Nah, I heard someone say he is going for Alex she is looking smoking hot." And the air is kicked right out of my lungs.

That's my life, every time I think something great is happening, the door shuts right in my face. I am so done with all this. I just want to go home. I want to be left alone. First Jake with his story about Felix and now this. It's time for this night to end. "Felix, I want to go home now." I state. He almost chokes in his drink. "Are you okay?" he asks. "No, I am not." "I am going to punch the guy." Anger is taking control over him. "Stop, just take me home."

The whole drive home is silent. Felix tries to ask what's wrong, but I refuse to answer. I don't want to have this conversation right now. I won't risk hearing anymore lies. As I walk up the porch, I spot a package right in front of our door.

I pick it up, it's a leather jacket with letters on it and a letter. It looks like a biker jacket. Strange, I look in the street but I can't spot anybody except for Felix's car. I turn the letter over but I don't recognize the handwriting. I walk up to my room and place the letter and the jacket on my bed. I carefully remove my dress and place it back on its clothes hanger. I remove my make-up and undo my hair. I pick a pair of comfort pajamas to make me feel better. As I place myself against the headboard of my bed, I turn on my nightlight and open the letter.