1.7

ZOE

We left New York 3 weeks ago, the day after we performed at the café. I still hadn't told Luke that I love him. I honestly don't even know what's holding me back; I just get too nervous to say it. I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't said it once he was already asleep, because I definitely have. Many times.

We were leaving LA, and were on our way to Italy. This past week was so much fun. We went to the Hollywood sign, the walk of fame, Disneyland, Santa Monica Pier, we did it all. The week before that, we were in Nashville, and then a small town in Tennessee staying in a log cabin. It was honestly the best time. We hit the Smoky Mountains, and went on multiple hikes. Needless to say, my.legs.were.burning. I don't exercise. So doing all that walking and climbing was pretty much the death of me. It was the death of all of us, honestly, but the scenery was too beautiful to NOT do the hiking. The week before, we were in Boston. It was a really good time too.

I was really excited for Italy. Laurel and I have been here too many times to count, since it's where our grandparents live, but the boys have never been. I honestly think that's the part that is the most fun for Laurel and me. Since we've been to all the places before, it's so cool to see the boys having so much fun enjoying places they've never been.

"Are you ready to get on our flight?" Luke asked me.

"Sure am." I smiled. "Are you excited?" I asked.

"Am I ready for this eighteen hour flight?" He laughed. "No. Italy, however, I am very excited for."

"Good." I smiled. "You'll love it."

"We're going to a beach, right?" Ashton asked.

"Yes, honey, we are." Laurel said.

"Yes, honey." I said in an old lady voice to Michael, making fun of them like we always did.

"Oh, honey, I love you so much. I can't believe we've been married for fifty years already. It feels like only yesterday I tricked you into being my woman." He said in his best old man voice.

"I love you so much too, Eugene."

"Oh, Shirley, you make my heart flutter just like it did when we were sixteen." He said, putting his hand over his heart.

"I fucking hate you guys." Laurel laughed, shaking her head.

"You two seriously have the weirdest friendship ever." Ashton laughed.

"What?" I said, shocked, "we aren't friends!" I looked at Michael.

"No, we certainly aren't. We are lovers." He said, taking my hand from Luke's.

"We've been together for a long time now, you know." I said. "When he kissed me in that closet, I just knew I could never settle for anyone else. It'll always be Mikey." I said, and then kissed his cheek.

"I love you." Michael laughed. "Here, grumpy gills, you can have your girlfriend back."

"Thank you." Luke laughed. "I'm not grumpy gills."

"Yes you are." I laughed.

"Whatever! Let's just get on this plane so I can use you as a pillow."

Eighteen dreadful hours later, we landed in Bari, Italy. Our grandparents live in Barletta, a town on the coast bordering the Adriatic Sea, which was about a 45 minute drive from the airport.

"I'm so excited." Laurel said forty minutes into the car ride.

"Me too." I smiled. "It's been almost a year since we've been here."

"Are they nice?" Ashton asked.

"They're like the nicest people you'll ever meet. I promise." I smiled. I couldn't stop smiling.

"I'm excited to meet them." Luke smiled.

"We're here." I smiled forty minutes later as we pulled into the long driveway of my grandparents' ginormous mansion.

"They're rich, too." Ashton sighed.

"Why do you make that sound like a bad thing?" Laurel asked. "It means for your birthday you're gonna get hella cash. It is this week, you know."

Ashton smiled instantly at that and said, "Sweet."

Once we reached the house, I saw my grandma standing outside smiling. They were so excited, and I know I definitely was too.

As soon as we got out of the car, my Nonni yelled to us, "I miei bambini! Sono così felice di vederti. Dio, sei bellisima. Venire dare la vostra Nonni un abbraccio!" (My babies! I'm so happy to see you. God, you are beautiful. Come give your Nonni a hug!)

"Nonni," I said as I walked up to hug her. "Inglese, per favore. I nostril amici non parlano italiano." I said fluently in Italian. (English, please. My friends don't speak Italian.)

"English. Got it." My grandmother said as she pulled me into a hug. "Laurel, darling." She said in her thick Italian accent as she pulled Laurel into a hug.

"Nonni, mi sei mancato tanto! Ho portato il mio fidanzato bello per farti conoscere. Egli è così meraviglioso, Nonni. Lo amerai." Laurel said, disregarding what I said about speaking Italian. (Nonni, I missed you so much! I brought my handsome boyfriend for you to meet. He's so wonderful, Nonni. You will love him.)

"Laur. English."

"Sorry! I love speaking Italian." She shrugged. "This is Ashton. My boyfriend."

"It's lovely meeting you, Mrs. Iravani." Ashton smiled.

"Oh, call me Nonni!" She smiled, bringing him in a hug.

"And this is my boyfriend, Luke." I smiled.

"Luke, you are one tall man. Come here!" She smiled, bringing him in for a hug as well.

"It's great meeting you." He smiled.

"Nonni!" Michael gushed, giving her a hug, which made her smile. "I'm Michael; I'm Zoe's best friend."

"Michael, its wonderful meeting you. I like you already." She smiled.

"I'm Calum." He smiled, hugging my grandmother.

"You are one handsome man." Nonni said.

"Thank you, Nonni." Calum smiled.

"Where's Nonno?" I asked.

"He's inside. I made food! I'm sure you guys are starving."

"I know I am!" Michael said, being the first one to follow Nonni inside.

This was going to be a wonderful, wonderful vacation.