1.9

ZOE

Two days later, Enzo came to my grandparents' house to visit.

"Enzo!" I said, hugging him as he walked through the door.

"Hi, Enzo!" Laurel called from the hallway.

"Hello, ladies." He said smiling, leaning in and kissing both of my cheeks, holding my hand.

Still holding his hand, I started walking and said, "C'mon, let's go to the living room."

"So how have you been?" Enzo asked once we were sat on the couch. It was just him and I in the room.

"I've been a lot better, lately, actually." I smiled. "Things are finally looking up."

"Nonni told me about Ryan. I'm really sorry, Zoe. Once she told me you guys were finally dating, I really thought you'd marry him. All you'd ever talk about when you were here was about how much you missed your American best friend. But not to worry, it didn't mean that you loved me any less, because I was your Italian best friend and you missed me just as much when you were back in the US." He laughed.

"Well, shit happens, I guess. Can't change it, and you still are my Italian best friend, even if we haven't talked in what... 6 years? Damn." I laughed.

"I don't have much competition." He laughed.

"True. So what's new with you?" I asked smiling. "Are you seeing anyone?"

"Not anymore. I was dating Aryanna, you know the brunette that lives down the street from me? Well, I was with her for about 2 years. We broke up a couple months ago."

"I'm sorry, Enz." I said. "What happened?"

"Not really sure, honestly. One day we were talking about how someday we wanted to get married and have kids and then the next; she told me she couldn't do it anymore.

Just completely out of nowhere. I was heartbroken. It gets easier, though. I know you know that."

"Very true." I sighed. "Hey, if you need a wing woman, I've been told I'm a great one."

"I might take you up on that." He laughed. "How long are you staying?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. Our break is almost over, so probably only a week or two."

"I wish you could just live here." He smiled.

"That would be wonderful."

"God, I missed you." He laughed.

"I missed you too, Enzpoop." I smiled, and then started laughing at the nickname I gave him when we were younger.

"Oh, shut it, Zoefart."

"Yeah, years later, and mine is still so much better." I laughed. "I think dinner is almost ready, let me introduce you to the boys." He grabbed my hand as we walked into the den where everyone was hanging out.

"Boys," I said, entering the den, Enzo's hand still in mine. "This is Enzo." I smiled looking at him. "He was my Italian best friend growing up. This is Ashton, Michael, Luke, and Calum."

"Hey." The boys said together.

"You guys say Zoe and I are bad about that!" Laurel laughed.

"You do that quite often." Enzo laughed. "They always have."

"So how long have you known Zoe and Laurel?" Luke asked.

"Uh, since we were born, basically." Enzo laughed.

"Is Enzo short for something or is that just your name?" Michael asked.

"It's short for Lorenzo, but if you call me that I might kill you." Enzo warned jokingly.