Epilogue - God Only Knows

"Do we have everything we need?" Jess asked, surveying the dining room table.

"I think so," Annie replied.

"I feel like we're missing something."

"No," Annie said slowly, looking at the place settings.  "I'm sure it's all here."

"Do you think we made enough food?"

Annie laughed.  "Yes, we made enough.  We could feed an army today."

"I just want this lunch to go well," Jess said, and Annie went to her with kind smile.

"It's going to go fine," she reassured.  "You don't need to worry about it."

"What about Uncle Jonathon?"

"He knows how important this is to you."  Annie put her hand on Jess's shoulder.  "I promise.  Everything is going to be okay." 

Jess sighed, knowing there was no use arguing.  Annie was still determined to see the positive in him, but she wasn't so sure.  Since when did her uncle ever care about what was important to her? 

Now that he'd lost control over the family and business, he'd become more insular, spending most of his days reading in the library or taking walks in the expansive yard with Annie.  But what hadn't changed was that Jess saw no sign he was truly sorry for what he'd done to her and Doug.  He acted as if none of it had ever happened.  Still angry for all the years he'd treated her badly, Jess had as little to do with him as possible. 

"They're here," Annie announced, and Jess suddenly felt sick to her stomach watching a well-used older Buick slowly approach the garage through the diamond paned window.  It was too late to back out now.  She just hoped her uncle wouldn't say or do something that would embarrass her today.

"I better get your uncle," Annie said, heading out of the dining room and Jess followed her down the hallway.  Annie disappeared into the library just as Doug stepped out of the grand parlor. 

"I was coming for you.  It looks like they're here."

"Will you come outside and greet them with me?" Jess asked, opening the front door.

"They're your friends, Jess."

"I know, but - please?"

"Okay, if you want me to," Doug said, giving in.

Harold was climbing out the driver's side door when they came out, and behind him, Marty got out of the back seat.  He looked so handsome in dark trousers and a short sleeved white button down shirt with his golden brown hair neatly styled, and Jess smiled, immediately feeling better.  Then she noticed his darkening expression.  He was walking around the back of the car, but the focus of his attention was on James who was scowling at him from inside the open garage. 

Jess rounded on Doug.  "Look at James!  Does he think my friends shouldn't be allowed to visit?"

Doug observed him with a frown.  "I'll talk to him later."

"I don't know why he has to be so rude all the time," Jess muttered.  "Can't he at least, just this once -."

"Donna!" Doug gasped, his eyes widening, and Jess turned back towards the car.

Marty was holding the door open for her as she got out of the back seat and Jess couldn't help admiring her.  She looked stunning, like a model from a magazine in a pale yellow print dress and white pumps.  Her hair was shorter than the last time Jess had seen her, and styled in a bouffant with a matching pale yellow bow pinned on one side.  The only thing that marred her beauty was the way she held her handbag tight against her chest and the worried look in her blue eyes as she examined the house.