Chapter 33 - Arrivederci

“Really swell dinner, Annie,” Doug said with a smile when Annie brought out a blueberry cobbler and a dish of whipped cream for dessert. 

Her face lit up at the compliment and Jess added, “It was really good!”  She’d gone all out, making Doug’s favorite roast chicken dinner and added Jess’s favorite macaroni and cheese. 

“Well, I wanted it to be special for you since you’re starting school tomorrow,” she said smiling kindly at both of them and Jess grinned even more broadly as a thrill of excitement went through her.  As much fun as she’d had that summer, spending hours each day with Marty, she couldn’t wait to go back to school.   

“This is a big year for you, Doug.  I can’t believe you’re a senior!” Annie added, her eyes suddenly shiny as she gazed at him with pride, and then she turned abruptly and left through the swinging door to the butler’s pantry, wiping her eyes with her apron.

“That’s right!” Uncle Jonathon said jovially, holding his hand out for Doug’s dessert plate.  “This is your last year!  Soon you’ll be taking your place at the business, working beside me.”  Jess could tell by the sudden change in Doug’s expression that this news was unexpected, but Uncle Jonathon didn’t seem to notice as he spooned cobbler on his plate. 

“You’ve worked hard Douglas.  You’ve earned this.  I’m proud of you son,” he said meaningfully, handing it back to him, and then cleared his throat. 

“Thanks – dad,” Doug said hesitantly, looking at his father with concern. 

“Jessica,” Uncle Jonathon said without looking at her, holding his hand out and clearly embarrassed he’d become emotional.  She gave him her plate, while Doug frowned down at his cobbler.

“I was planning to give you the corner office that Reynolds is using,” Uncle Jonathon continued as he handed Jess her plate back.  “Unless there’s another one you’d prefer.  You can have anyone you like.  Well, except mine, of course,” he said, chuckling at his own joke.  “But someday that one will be yours, Douglas,” he added more seriously.

“Uh, dad,” Doug said hesitantly.  “I wanted to talk to you about that.”

“Yes?” Uncle Jonathon replied, digging into his cobbler.

 “As soon as I graduate, I want to start right away and –.”

“That’s fine, son.  Fine,” Uncle Jonathon interrupted, beaming at him.  “I’m glad you’re so eager to begin.”

“Well – the thing is,” Doug continued.  “I was thinking I, uh, would work through the summer, and then go to the state university in the fall.”  

Uncle Jonathon appeared stunned, his smile vanishing.  Watching his expression change, Jess’s stomach sank, and she was immediately worried for Doug.  What was coming wasn’t going to be good.

“Why would you want to do that?” Uncle Jonathon asked with incredulity, his loud voice echoing off the wood paneling in the room.

“I thought it would be a good idea for me to learn more about the business, you know?” Doug replied, his voice wavering. 

“I never had to go to college to know how to run the mine!” Uncle Jonathon shouted with outrage.

“But, dad –.”  Uncle Jonathon banged his fist on the table as he leaned towards Doug.  Jess had never seen his face so red before, and she didn’t know how Doug wasn’t cowering in fear. 

“My father dropped dead of a heart attack when I was nineteen years old!” he thundered. “I wasn’t off at some college when that happened!  I was right there beside him!  And I took over the entire operation from that day on!  If he hadn’t prepared me for it from the time I was a boy, this family could have lost everything!