Chapter 44 - Swingin' School

Jess was in the kitchen with Annie, mashing a big pot of boiled potatoes at the table when she saw Doug's car drive past the window.

"He's here!" she said excitedly, letting go of the potato masher so she could untie her apron.

"Just in time," Annie said with a big smile.

As soon as she had her apron off, Jess rushed out of the kitchen and made her way down the hallway. She reached the front door, just as Doug had come through and closed it.

"Doug!" she cried, lunging at him. He chuckled and it rumbled in his chest, tickling her ear while she gave him a tight hug.

"Miss me?" he asked when she let go.

"Yes!"

"We've all missed you!" Annie exclaimed, looking like she was drinking him in.

"Hi Annie," he said, smiling widely. "Dad!" he added, his face lighting up when Uncle Jonathon appeared in the doorway of the grand parlor.

"Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon said, looking just as happy while he grasped his hand. "How are they treating you at that school?"

"They're treating me just fine."

"You look thinner," Annie said. "I don't think they're feeding you enough."

"He isn't thinner," Uncle Jonathon said to Annie. "You're looking well, son. Very well."

For once, Jess agreed with her uncle. Doug looked really good. Older, and even taller somehow than the last time she'd seen him the day they'd taken him to college.

"We're going to have a good dinner tonight," Annie said. "Jess and I made all your favorites."

"I do miss your home cooking," Doug said wistfully, and Annie practically melted in front of Jess.

"Well, it's almost ready," she replied, wiping her eyes with her apron. "Come along, Jess," she said, and hurried to go back to the kitchen.

Once there, Jess went to finish the mashed potatoes, but Annie handed her a stack of plates.

"You set the table and I'll get the food in the serving dishes." Jess noticed the number of plates in her hand.

"You're eating with us?"

"I asked your uncle and he said it was okay," she said, her face glowing.

"Doug will like that," Jess agreed with a smile, but her smile dropped when she reached the butler's pantry.

She was glad Annie was taking her rightful place as a part of the family, but she shouldn't have to beg for it, and Uncle Jonathon allowing it had probably only reinforced Annie's feelings for him. In a perfect world, Annie would be married to him and a real mother to Doug and her, but Jess doubted Uncle Jonathon would ever allow it. If only he wasn't so rigid and difficult, perhaps he'd allow himself to care for her too, she thought with a sigh. She just couldn't understand why Annie would love someone like him.

When everyone was seated at the table, Doug beamed at the food laid out between them.

"This looks really good, Annie - and Jess," he added, grinning at her, and she worked hard to suppress a giggle while Annie thanked him. Jess knew he'd said it for Annie's benefit, knowing how much it would mean to her.

It was one of those rare nights when Uncle Jonathon was in as good a mood as the rest of them. Doug looked happy and relaxed while he talked about his classes, his professors, the fraternities, and the other students he'd met. It was clear college life agreed with him. Jess was happy for him, but she couldn't help thinking of Marty. He'd thrive at college too, if only he'd have the chance to go.