Chapter 32 - Tell Him No

While Jess gathered towels for her and Marty in preparation to go to the pond, he came out of the kitchen carrying the bucket.  Taking the towels from her arms, he surprised her by holding the bucket out for her.

"What are you doing?" she laughed, while he grinned at her.  "What's the bucket for?  Are we going fishing?" 

"No, you're going fishing.  I'm going to teach you." 

She looked at him like he was crazy, because it was crazy.  She'd never had any desire to fish because so many parts of it seemed disgusting to her.  She had no intention of ever touching worms, let alone skewer them on a fishing hook.  But the idea of touching a live fish was even worse.  She'd have to hold its slimy body so she could get the barbed hook out of its mouth, and the whole time  it would be trying to get away.  Her body shuddered involuntarily just at the thought of it.

"That's alright.  You can do all the fishing," she said, holding her hands up, but he thrust the bucket towards her.

"C'mon, Jess!  Didn't say you were bored with always doing the same things the other day?" 

"I guess," she said in a more subdued voice.  

She'd resigned herself to being stuck on the property for the duration of the summer since it looked like the only way she could leave was by visiting girls she didn't consider friends.  Deciding to make the best of the situation, she was determined to have as much fun as she could with Marty, enjoying the extra time she got to spend with him before school started again.

"I reckoned if I teach you how to fish, that would be something different," Marty explained.  Jess opened her mouth to argue with him, but hesitated when she noticed the excited look in his eyes.  He really wanted to do this.   

"Okay, okay," she said, giving in and taking the bucket.  He grinned broadly while reaching into his pocket, his eyes full of mirth. 

"You're going to need this to get the worms," he said, handing her the pen knife.  Taking it from him, she held it in her hand.  It was still warm from being in his pocket, the black plastic hilt bumpy like tree bark.  "Come on," he said, stepping aside and holding his arm out, directing her to the back door. 

Marty had always found his worms by digging through the leaves on the forest floor, so she headed in the direction of the trees.  Once she found a likely spot, she sat on her heels, and opened the knife.  Using it to push away the layer of rotting leaves, she saw dark exposed dirt.  She gently dug into it and a fat worm rose to the surface, its body glistening as it wriggled, trying to bury itself again.  It looked every bit as disgusting as she thought it would.

"Go on," Marty urged.  She made a face at him, and then gently picked it up using two fingers.  It was squishy, like slimy jello.

"Ugh," she exclaimed, dropping it in the bucket, and shuddered again.

"Don't be such a baby about it, Jess!" Marty said with a laugh.  "It's just a worm."

"It's disgusting!" 

"Well, you need more so you better get on it.  At this rate we won't even make it to the pond before you gotta go."

"Fine!" 

She poked through the ground some more, finding five more slimy worms before Marty said she had enough.  He sprinkled a layer of loamy leaves over them to protect them from the sun, then they headed back into the cabin to gather their things. 

This time when they walked to the pond, Marty carried the blanket, towels and food while she carried the fishing pole and bucket.  It was a hot day, with no breeze to stir the trees.  Even though they were shaded most of the way, the air felt oppressive and by the time they reached the pond, Jess was sweating.  With the sun beating down on her, she looked at the cool inviting water while Marty placed their things under the willow tree.