Chapter 42 - Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)

"Jess, we're here." 

Jess lifted her head while closing her book.  She and Annie were in the back seat of the black car.  It was the day to move Doug into his college dorm and they were following Doug's car as he drove with Uncle Jonathon.

"It looks so big," Annie said worriedly, and Jess looked out the window. 

Boys and girls walked in groups or lounged on the grass, enjoying the late summer sunshine, all of them looking happy and excited – and it made her heart ache.  She couldn't help imagining how grand it would have been for her and Marty to be among them, exploring their new campus, walking out in the open together for the very first time.

"What if he gets lost?" Annie asked, interrupting Jess's thoughts. 

"He won't get lost," Jess reassured her, taking her hand.  "Doug will learn his way around just like the other students."

Annie had been excited to help Doug get ready for college, but as the day for him to leave got closer, she'd become more emotional.  Jess knew how she felt.  She also felt sad he was moving out.

"Oh, this must be his dormitory," Annie said as they pulled into a parking lot and James parked next to Doug's car. 

In front of them was a four story brick building covered with ivy.  James opened the door for them to get out, and then went to open the car's trunk.  The parking lot was filled with cars and more were parked on the grass with parents and students pulling suitcases and trunks out of them. 

"It's so big!" Annie repeated as Doug and Uncle Jonathon approached her.  "What if you get lost?"

"Annie, I told you I'm going to be fine," Doug reminded her gently.  "I don't want you to worry about me."

"But it's your first time –."

"And I'm going to be okay," he insisted.

"I want to see what the dorm room looks like," Uncle Jonathon grumbled.  "It better not be a dump."

"Dad!" Doug said, looking exasperated.  "It's not going to be a dump."

"You don't know that!  They just assign you a room, sight unseen – and who knows what kind of a person they've stuck you with for a roommate!"

" Dad!"

"You should have had a choice, Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon barked. 

"That's how they do it for everyone else."  Uncle Jonathon opened his mouth and Jess knew he was about to insist they weren't like 'everyone else', but Doug spoke up.  "I'm sure it's going to be alright.  Please don't make a scene, okay?" he pleaded.

"Well – if you insist," Uncle Jonathon grumbled.  "But if it's not up to par, the president and the board of regents will be receiving a very strongly worded letter!"

"Let's – just go," Doug said with a sigh, turning to pick up his trunk while giving Jess a look, and she felt bad for him.

With Doug leading the way, they took his luggage into the building and climbed a crowded stairwell to the second floor.  Walking down the hall, Jess heard male voices and records playing.  She couldn't see her uncle's face as he walked ahead of her carrying a suitcase, but she hoped playing rock and roll wasn't something that warranted a strongly worded letter.

Doug went through one of the doorways, and when Jess walked in, she felt relieved for him.  The room was spare with two twin beds, two desks, and two dressers, but it looked clean and well kept.  The walls had been freshly painted and plaid curtains matched the plaid bedspreads on the beds.