Chapter#14

HAPPY READING ❤️❤️

***************************************

      It's been a week since I have gone out of the house for shopping or any other activity. I even had to cancel all the enjoyment plans, I made with Maheen due to exams preparation.
And it is strange that I have not received any nasty or stupid texts from any unknown number, which is I guess good, but it still seems strange to me.

Throughout the whole week, I haven't visited Sumbul's house, but I have tried many times to contact her through phone, but that idiot girl has never responded.

Today it was my last exam of final semester. Finally, I can breathe freely, pushing off the burden of boring studies.

I hold a black mug of coffee in my right hand and walk towards the balcony of my room. From here, I can gaze at the enchanting night of December. It is dark, where the moon is hiding behind the clouds and fog is slowly caressing the earth.
I lean against the railing of the balcony pushing back my dark hair from my shoulders and attaching the rim of the mug with my lips. I sip the hot coffee out of it, slowly rubbing its velvety texture from outside with the other hand. I detach my lips from the rim and steam escapes from my parted lips. I feel like I am lost in the serenity of the night forgetting all the anxious burdens of life.
The streetlights of the DHA of Lahore are illuminating the silent night in the most peaceful and mysterious way. The cold breeze passes shivers through my body and shudder in pleasure. I love cold, fog and snow. I know it doesn't snow in Lahore, but I have visited Muree a couple of times where it snows turning Muree into a white fairyland.

“Arzu. You will catch cold, wear this shawl.” My mother walks in the balcony and wraps a white shawl around my shoulders.

“Thanks Ma.” I peck her on the forehead earning a sweet gentle smile from her.

“Mom. Sometimes I think to myself that if Father had no house then we would have been living a miserable life without any roof over our heads.” I talk to her looking down at my coffee.

“No Arzu. We would have never been miserable at all.” She smiles looking the dark, cloudy sky.

“B... But. Mamu Jan refused to keep us in his house after father's death.” I wince inwardly thinking about the day when he said that he can't take the responsibility of keeping his sister and her young daughter.

“Arzu, my sweetheart, and I am glad that he did. At least I learned to believe in Allah and myself. You know what my dear daughter, Allah never leaves his people in the distress and especially when they cry in front of Him, in the prayers.” She stops with a sigh and then with a smile she looks at me.

I look at my mother encouraging her to continue as she turns her head completely towards me.

“ My brother Yusuf refused to keep us because his wife didn't want it and of course how could my poor brother afford our expenditures, when he had his own big family, he had to support. Arzu dear, I took you and came back into this house after a few months. Living alone in this society is a difficult task for a widow. I could not become a burden and an unwanted responsibility for my brother for the rest of our lives. I lived alone here  with only you, supporting ourselves with your father's pension and having faith in Allah, I have lived with dignity.” Her thankful eyes gleam with happiness. She has always been thankful to Allah for everything, and I am proud to be a daughter of such a strong mother.

“ I love you Mama.” I hug her tightly, she might be often sick now, but she is so strong. She always gives me a strength, I can never achieve from anywhere else.

“Your Phupo Jan (father's sister) has always been there for me. She is such a nice woman. Her sons specially Muneeb never left me in state of distress and despair.” I am still holding her in a warm embrace and my eyes are staring at the distant trees. I listen to her words and smile at the mention of Muneeb. He indeed has always been the best brother and cousin ever.

“ And Junaid, I know he often behaves irresponsible and overreacts on many things, but he is a nice boy too.” I roll my eyes at the mention of Junaid, he might be nice, but that nice nature is I guess too lazy  to come to the surface.

“Oh Mama, if you are missing Phupo Jan(aunt) then should we visit her?” I ask her realising her from my embrace.

“But it is too late to visit someone.” She glances at the dark night and deserted streets, where yellow streetlights are pouring down their light on the roads.

“No, Mama. Please let's go. I am missing Sumbul.” I pout at her, and she wiggles her eyebrows at me.

“ Why are you missing her at once?”

“Umm, because I have not met her in a long time. It's been a whole week and I have something very urgent to discuss with her.” I blink at her with a stretch of smile on my face.

“What you have to discuss?” She folds her arms on her stomach and I groan inwardly.

“Uuuh. Mom. Come on. It is related to the shopping she did a week ago.... Ummmm. She wanted to show it to me, but I couldn't because I was busy so.....”

“OK. OK. Fine. I am calling the Uber so that we can go.” She holds up her palm and then leaves me alone in the balcony to take her phone from her bedroom.

I also come inside my room and putting the empty mug on the table, I open the closet and taking out a black dress, I enter the bathroom to get ready.

'Now this is my chance to talk to Sumbul again.' I mutter to myself, stepping out of my house.

***************************************
TO BE CONTINUED.....
***************************************

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS SHORT CHAPTER?

-ELIF HOORAIN!

STAY TUNED FOR NEXT UPDATE!