Chapter#15

Happy reading ❤️

...................................................................

    “As-salamu alaykum, Phupo (aunt) Jan.” I greet her as I walk into the house through the main door. She is reading a book, sitting in the sofa. Hearing my voice, she turns her head towards and smiles at me.

“Wa-Alaikum-Salaam, my dear Arzu.” She embraces me back when I approach her and throw my arms around her. I peck her on the forehead after receiving a sweet kiss on my left cheek from her.

“What did bring you here, Zunaira? Is everything OK? Both of you have come to visit us so late at night.” She asks my mother, glancing over the clock striking 10:30 pm,before removing her glasses from her face and putting them down on the closed book.

“Of course, everything is fine. Actually....” I cut in my mother receiving a glare from her but ignoring it, I turn towards Phupo.

“Actually, I was missing you so much Phupo Jan. Exams had trapped me in their cell and I just got escaped from their torture. I was missing all of you so couldn't wait any longer and came to meet you.” I flash her a pearly grin, and she chuckles before patting me on my hand.

“ My dear, Arzu, we all missed you too.” I get up from my place to give her a quick embrace.

“ Oh, who has been missing me so much?” A voice turns my genuine sweet grin into a tight lip smile and I flick my head towards him. He is wearing black sweatpants and a blue hoodie over it, which is not covering his head.

“No one has been missing you.” I give him a tight lip smile.

“But I heard from the kitchen that you were missing all of us.” He bites into the apple, he is holding in the right hand and smiles at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“That all doesn't include you. Junaid bhai(brother).” I turn my back to Phupo, who is keenly looking at both of us.

“Whatever.” He rolls his eyes, biting again into his apple.

“Mom, I am going back in my. I have to work on a few files. Tell everyone not to disturb me.” He tells his mother before picking up his laptop from the side table of a couch and striding towards the staircase.

I am bewildered that he didn't look back at me or even tried to show any irritation when I mocked him a little. What's going on in his weird brain? I think to myself. But shaking that thought aside, I decide to look for Sumbul in the house and talk to her.

“Phupo, Is Sumbul in her room?”

“Oh yes. Arzu beti(daughter), she is in her room. She told me that she is studying for her midterms.”

“Oh... Then I should not disturb her.”

“No no. Arzu, go and meet her in her bedroom. She has been studying for an hour. Now she must be resting for a while.”

“OK Phupo Jan.” I nod at her with a gentle smile and move towards her bedroom.

What should I say to her exactly?
Something that will convince her to believe me. Yes, something like that but what? I am in a conversation with myself mentally, holding my hand in the air, ready to knock on the door of her bedroom. Drowned in my thoughts, I knock twice.

“Come in.” A frustrated voice comes from inside the room. I breathe in and out before twisting the doorknob and opening the door. I enter the room and spot her sprawled on the bed, typing furiously on her phone.