Chapter# 18

Happy reading...

***************************************     

Locking the door of my bedroom from the inside, I call back on the number but no one receives my call.

'Ya Allah, may everything be OK.' I pray in my heart recalling on the number. The number from which Sumbul has called earlier is not her own phone number and this increases my anxiety.

'What if she is in some trouble?'

'What if Junaid came to know about everything......?

' What if...'

All these thoughts attack my poor mind as I begin to pace back and forth in despair.

“Arzu, are you in there?” I hear the voices and several knocks on the door of my bedroom.

' Oh no.'

“Maheen. I am in here, just changing my clothes. Wait a minute.” I clear my throat before telling her to wait and hit the phone number of Sumbul this time.

          SORRY. THE NUMBER YOU HAVE DIALED IS NOT ANSWERING.

'Oh my Allah.' I pat my forehead a little harder with my palm.

“ Arzu. Open the door. Right now.” I hear her yell and I know that she is getting worried now. I fix my hair with my hands and pat my face with my palms to erase the marks of anxiety appeared in the form of perspiration.

“ You are so impatient.” I complain, opening the door ajar. She enters the room swiftly and looks at me with skeptical eyes.

“Whaa...What?” I laugh a bit turning away from her.

“You said that you were changing your dress.” She raised her left eyebrow, gazing me from bottom to the top.

“Yea..... Yeah. I did come here to change.”

“But, you didn't. You are still in the same dress.” I instantly look down at my dress, smacking myself mentally and thinking to come up with a better excuse for it.

“I did change. But then I thought about changing back into the same dress.” I bite my bottom lip hoping that she will believe me. She squints her eyes at me while taking a few steps towards me.

“Is something bothering you?”

“N... No.”

“Then why are you stuttering?”

“Ah. I am not stuttering. I don't know why you felt like I was.” I turn towards the mirror and pick up the hairbrush to brush through my hair.

“ Arzu. You are OK. Right?” She comes near me and looks at me through the mirror.

“Yes. I am. Why you asked such a question?”

“Because I don't know why, but I feel like you are hiding something from me.” She stares at me, and I am bewildered to see that how intense her eyes are when they search for something on my face.

“I am not hiding anything from you my lovely bestie.” I turn to smile at her.

“Remember that I am your best friend and best friends are like a part of each other. If you are in trouble anywhere, anytime, I will be there for you at any cost.” With these words she hugs me tightly, and I am taken aback when I hear her sniffle.

“Hey, why are you crying?” I rub her back when she loses her embrace and looks at me.

“You will fall in love and get married soon. Then you will have no time for this poor best friend. And you are already hiding things from me.” I don't know, where is this coming from. I shoot up my eyebrows in surprise.

“What sort of drama it is, Mahi?”

“That guy, Vural Sha. I saw it how he looks at you and how you turn away your gaze and pink reaches your cheek bones.”  She grins at me sheepishly as my jaw drops in astonishment.

“Haww. Shut up. There is nothing like that,ok and I am not hiding anything from you.” I hate myself for the lie but I can't tell her because I am myself not aware of what is happening at the moment.

And I don't know why she thinks that Vural is interested in me. I admit that he is attractive but I can't ignore the fact that he is arrogant too.

“Oh ho. Why you seem so serious? I was just messing with you.” She winks at me earning a smack on her shoulder from me.

“Ouch. So you wish it wasn't a joke?” She grins while I glare at her.

“Hahaha. OK, sorry. By the way I am going back to home because mom was calling me. She needs me at home.”

“Sure. See you then.” We both hug each other before she turns towards the door.

“By the way, you and Vural can be a perfect couple.” I hear the words and pick up a pillow to throw at her, but she dodges it as she dashes out of the room.

“Stupid. Haha.”

I feel somewhat relaxed after a laughter session with Maheen but soon the comfort and relaxation evaporates when a text appears on the screen of my phone.

          COME ALONE AT THE ADDRESS I HAVE TEXTED BELOW AND DON'T YOU DARE TO REPORT THE POLICE OR YOU WILL HAVE To ATTEND THE FUNERAL OF YOUR SWEET COUSIN.
                             ~TEXT SENDER :UNKNOWN.

'What the hell?' I feel the shiver pass through my whole body as I stand there in fear, anxiety and despair.

***************************************
TO BE CONTINUED.......
***************************************

SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE AND A SHORT CHAPTER. 

DO COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE CHAPTER.

AND STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT UPDATE.

~ELIF HOORAIN ♥️