Part 2

Althea

My day started once again with a commander's meeting to make sure everything was as it was supposed to be and address any issues with the king. This meeting usually didn't take more than thirty minutes since nothing really happened in the middle of the desert.

We were about to head out when one of the soldiers that were supposed to guard the wall barged in. He kneeled in front of the king and placed his fist over his chest. He seemed upset. The king gestured for him to stand.

"I should inform you my king about what we saw over the walls a few minutes ago. A blue light shined in the desert a few miles away. We ask for permission to examine the incidence."

The calm expression on the king's face disappeared and his eyebrows bumped together in a scowl. His eyes widened and he glanced at the floor for a few seconds to think about his next step.

Finally something interesting. I had missed being useful. Nothing excited me inside of these walls anymore and I craved any sorts of action.

"It might be dangerous since we don't know what caused it, so I volunteer to go with them and help."

I hoped he would agree but he denied it instantly without even considering my proposition.

"I think it's better if you stayed in the palace. Also if you would be kind enough to fill two capsules for their trip I would appreciate it. I'll escort you to the infirmary to discuss your duties."

With that note, everyone went their separate ways. While walking down the corridors next to the King I felt uneasy. His pace was fast but he tried to appear calm and collected.

I was sure that after all, we went through he and his family liked my presence in the palace and might have viewed me from time to time as one of their own. This didn't change the fact that I was still a weapon. If this was a mild case the King would have preferred to speak to one of his commanders and not me.

I opened my mouth hesitantly to ask about the blue light but he placed his finger over his lips insinuating to keep the silence.

"It's not a safe place to speak".

We finally arrived at the infirmary. Elda the head healer was waiting for us there. She gave me a quick smile while I sat down. I tended to close my eyes during this process since it was bringing back bad memories.

While the needle pierced my skin I opened my eyes slightly to take a glance at what the king was up to. He had found a pen and a paper and started writing something.

Elda did the procedure as always and drew enough blood to fill two capsules. Because I heal almost instantaneously drawing that amount of blood didn't affect me.

"Elda, take the capsules and this envelope to the guard outside and tell him to deliver that immediately to the aircraft where he will find commander Theo. Also, we will need some privacy."

She simply nodded her head and left the room to do what she was told.

"It is not just a blue random light is it?"

The king looked at me with a devilish smile. He and I were very close even with his status. The day we met when I first arrived in Asterin he had just turned twenty years old. One of the reasons he felt comfortable around me from the first moment was because I was in my 20s as well when I stopped aging. Considering no other person in the castle was that close to his age, a bond was created. The only people that were allowed to roam freely around the palace were the soldiers and the nobles. Due to their advanced age, the youngest one being 60 years old I was a breath of fresh air for him.

"Do you remember our conversation about the stones a few years ago?"

"Faintly, but yes" I said unamused.

"This might be one of them!"

I was momentarily lost for words. He glared at me like he was waiting for a big reaction out of me. His expression hardened when he realized I didn't share this feeling of excitement of his.

"How are you not surprised?"

I sighed. I was rather disappointed nothing intriguing had happened but I could not disrespect the King so I acted as if I was interested. "I am just a little confused. How did this stone appear magically in the middle of nowhere?"

"It didn't appear by itself. The light was described as blue. That must be the tesseract since that is its signature color and can open portals to other worlds." He said sharply and lively. He seemed like a kid receiving a present.

"So you are telling me a random person is now on our planet? Oh, now I understand why you needed my blood. If that person is a threat to power the mind weapons that makes them fall asleep."

"Exactly!" A humorless smile lurked around the edges of his lips. I knew that it was quite shallow of me to hope that the stranger was going to turn out to be dangerous but I could not help myself. A mysterious prisoner was the most exciting thing that happened in years.

"Our soldiers though saw the light about thirty minutes ago. How are you so sure the person with the stone is still there?"

"For someone to detect the light from miles away and in the middle of the day it means that a big portal was opened. If I remember correctly the larger the portal the bigger the trip. Our new guest has lost their consciousness with that galaxy jump and because they most likely are mortal they might sleep for hours. I drew your blood just in case."

I chuckled. I finally shared his enthusiasm but for different reasons. "Wow, you have thought of everything. I suppose that envelope you gave Elda was meant for Theo to explain the importance of the cube to track it and obtain it at all costs."

"No mistakes must be made. That stone would be a great asset if the Mistans break the peace once again and declare war." He sounded bitter for the first time. We could not afford another war and we both knew.

"I do not know about the stone but I think your greatest advantage is me winning again. You were in a war for decades and I won for you in twenty years." I tried to lighten the situation. This was my way of dealing with difficult subjects. Humor.

He smiled again even wider than before. He paced towards one of the windows and looked at the city. I peeked myself up from my seat and joined him. We stared outside the walls in the desert both hoping everything will be alright.

The whole city felt alive. In a few days, the princess would have turned 18 and choose her future husband and the next king. The celebration would have lasted a whole day and the civilians desperately needed this type of escape from their problems. We needed to make sure the stranger would not cause any problems.