Part 8

It's a short chapter sorry. I'll redeem myself with the next one.

I'll try to upload two times a week. Thursday, Sunday. If I'm busy only Sunday

Althea

I struggled to not pay attention to Dalia that was glaring at me venomously while Loki was describing Asgard to us. He came across as clueless about the situation before him.

It was such a lovely day and I did not want her to ruin it for me. I spread some butter on my bread and admired the view while she was batting her eyelashes and laughing at all his jokes.

"You altered yourself into a snake and surprised Thor?"

"You must have had seen his reaction, to this day he is still petrified of snakes."

"Your stories are remarkable. I wish one day to visit the Capital. I have heard a lot about it but the way you describe Asgard convinced me that it must be the most delightful place in the world."

She caressed his hand seductively and bit her bottom lip. Loki did not shift from his position and appeared to enjoy her playfulness. He glanced back into her eyes and smiled.

I coughed to make my presence apparent and Loki was the one to withdraw his hand first.

"Dalia always enjoyed hearing about Thor's adventures. Do you recall when you had developed feelings for him?"

Shocked that I even mentioned it she got immediately defensive.

"I did a few years ago but I got over him when he kept referring you as 'his lady' ".

I placed my teacup back on the table and crossed my fingers prepared for a verbal fight. Loki did not pay attention to either one of us possibly to not get involved.

"He calls every woman that way, the only reason why he does not address you as his lady is because you are still a child."

The moment I completed that sentence she jumped up from her chair and fled, clearly offended by my words.

Loki lifted his gaze from his tea and waited for my reaction.

"I ask for forgiveness my prince on behalf of me and Dalia. It was childish to have this kind of fight in front of you."

"I still do not understand what was the feud about."

"When we were at war with Mistan Thor helped us. After months together on the battlefield, he and I got close. Now, whenever he visits as old friends we spend a lot of time together and the princess gets envious. Dalia is afraid of history repeating itself."

"When you say close... What exactly do you mean?"

I sipped my beverage amused that he wished for further information.

"I can not speak on Thor's behalf but for me, he is and always will be a very trusted and loving friend."

The fact that he did not question my remark about Dalia's feelings towards Thor ensured me that he did not possess any sentiments for her.

"Your Grace I was thinking of going to the city again today and I wondered if you would care to join me."

"Any other day I would have accepted the invitation but I already have plans for this evening."

I was both relieved and disappointed. He was my responsibility and I was supposed to entertain him but if he denied my offer there was nothing I could have done.

I pardoned myself shortly after to attend a matter I had delayed as much as I could.

Loki

Since that fight ended up being about Thor I decided not to draw any conclusions. One of my many rules was to not meddle in my brother's businesses. I enjoyed the rest of my meal in peace and headed back to the palace not so certain of my following occupation. Next on my list was proposing to Dalia but that was not meant to happen until noon.

I decided to rest until lunch since I did not sleep well that night. I opened my door ready to get in bed but standing in my chamber was the Princess gazing out the window.

At first, I thought I walked into the wrong room, and I was ready to apologize for disturbing her but she spoke before I did.

"I am sorry for intruding but I wished to explain my odd behavior before."

"Lady Athea explained the situation and I can understand where your frustration came from."

She was possibly trying to make conversation and I put an end to the subject way too soon. With nothing else left to be said she chose to leave.

"Alright then, I shall let you be."

I was still standing under the door frame and when she passed me to leave something overcame me and grabbed her arm softly to stop her.

"Would you care for a walk?"

She smiled and nodded in agreement. I knew the King wanted me to propose after dinner but why miss such a great opportunity.

I started to reconsider my proposal immediately after we began striding side by side. Was I really going to marry someone for the sake of becoming king? I was not the relationship type of person. Emotions were not my forte. Except for anger, anger I was good at. I side glanced at the small creature next to me. She was pacing cheerfully ignorant about how cruel life outside of these walls was.

I waited for us to reach the gardens before addressing such a delicate subject. We sat on a bench under a plane tree with a perfect view of the city and I wondered how does someone start a proposal. Dalia spoke before I did.

"Such a beautiful day isn't it? We usually can not stay outside for too long because of the heat but today you can even feel a light breeze."

"Yes, I suppose so."

The discussion was not going to take the direction I wanted to easily so the best approach was to just state my non-existent feelings towards her and hope for a positive reaction.

"Dalia I am aware I should not be doing this at this moment but I am afraid it can not wait any longer."

Her eyes widened and her breathing got elaborated. She did not utter a word only waited for me to continue. From that reaction, you could tell that she was truly expecting the worst.

"From the second I laid my eyes on you I acquired feelings for you."

I shifted and slid closer. I held her hands and while maintaining eye contact I continued.

"You are the reason I have stayed here and I want you to know I have already told your father about my motives."

I kneeled and she gasped realizing what was about to happen.

"Please forgive me for not finding the time to acquire a ring but Dalia, will you marry me?"

She leaped from her seat and embraced me into a hug, making both of us collapse on the lawn. Before reacting she kissed me on the lips. I definitely did not anticipate such a move from the shy princess but I did not mind. I had to get used to it since she was about to become my wife. 

The kiss did not give me any emotions. Purely mechanical, it was just a step I had to make to achieve my goals.