Part 20

Because of my exams, I will not post next week but after I'm done I may even upload twice as much.

Althea

Cador placed a metallic crown on my head with a cord in it that was attached to the screen. I rolled up my sleeve and he rubbed alcohol on my arm. With the needle in his hand, he said.

"I will walk you through the procedure to make you feel more comfortable. I'll need to give you two shots, one to start the process and one to end it. My formula will first access the earliest memory you have and then dig up the forgotten ones. You may feel a strong headache, dizziness, or even nauseous. If you start feeling sick tell me and I'll stop the procedure."

Without a warning, he placed the needle on my skin ready to pierce it. I flinched and closed my eyes. My anxiety tried to force me to start rolling my rings but both of my hands were occupied. I would not even dare to move the arm with the needle in it, even if moving my fingers would not affect the process and the other was busy holding Loki's hand.

Loki saw my uneasiness and stopped stroking my hand. Instead, without me asking he started rolling with his thumb one of my rings. After all this time seeing me doing it he must have known that it calmed me down. I opened my eyes and looked up at him, gifting him with a smile to express my gratitude.

I then realized that for him to pick up on my habit he must have observed me for a while. Not even the people closest to me knew that I did that out of anxiety and not boredom. These thoughts in combination with his soft gaze made me not realize that the injection was over.

Here we go. My head felt instantly heavy. My limbs went numb and thousands of small tingles rushed through my body. The sound of static on the screen in front of me suddenly stopped, filling the room with uncomfortable silence.

I gasped when the familiar metallic halls popped up on that screen. You could see what happened through my eyes. That explained the few loose strands of hair that were blocking the view. The static was replaced by the sound of heavy footsteps echoing through that corridor as well as the sound of my body being dragged.

My memory was incomplete so we changed scenery like in a bad montage. Oh no...not that room. From all the experiments that one was the worst one. After introducing to my system new narcotics, the next day they had to activate them with immense pain. They electrocuted me until I showed signs of powers, but I never did. My own screams and cries sent chills up my spine. I could not even dare look at how Loki was reacting. I knew all of this was not my fault but deep down I felt embarrassed.

Everything on the screen started to get blurry. Probably because I was always on the verge of fainting but they would not let me. They would not let me have the sweet relief of unconsciousness. I was no use to them being dead or asleep. They needed me awake to discover how I responded to their serums and drugs. Drugs that never made me high but rather made me feel every inch of pain ten times worse.

A needle injection had no difference from a shot wound. Something as simple as a person's touch no matter how gentle ached me... Not like they knew what gentle was.

If Fury had not told me that I was a lab rat for years I wouldn't have known. I had no sense of time in there. No clocks or windows anywhere. No way of telling how many days have passed. No memories, just the feeling of your skin crawling every time they strapped you to that chair. The fatigue I had felt. Your mind and soul knew you were done fighting, you were praying for death but your body... The body trying every day for you. Not letting you go.