Part 23

Althea

"I apologize there must be a misunderstanding. I can not recall us meeting before."

She gave a wide smile. My instincts told me that she was not a threat. Powerful for sure but she was not going to harm me. If she wanted to she could have just left me to flat-line. She was wearing a flowy yellow dress with golden touches and her hair was coiffed into tight ringlet curls that bounced around her shoulders.

"We met once many years ago. I admit I would be impressed if you recognized me. You were certainly unconscious when I found you."

This should have cleared things up but it just made me more confused. She eased back to her seat and she offered me to join her. We were under a tall oak tree that protected us from whatever sunlight was left. The light was bleeding slowly out of the sky as the sun made its exit beyond the mountains.

I must have interrupted some sort of meeting. In front of me, there was a circular table with five other women who were frozen mid-conversation. Tea and sweets were served by a couple of maids. One was about to drop a teaspoon but hadn't realized yet that it slipped from the plate.

One of the women caught my attention. Sitting proudly on her chest a necklace identical to mine. The gift that Lena gave to me before I left. I decided not to mention it to the mysterious woman but she definitely caught me staring at it.

"I believe I owe you an explanation ...for starters, I am Queen Frigga."

My shock was painfully apparent. Millions of thoughts rushed into my head. How should I show my respect? I am seated so I can not really bow. If I was in my armor it would be appropriate to kneel but I'm currently in a hospital gown so it wouldn't be a wise choice... I started to overthink everything but for some reason, I decided to just not look at her directly in the eyes.

"Lift your gaze dear we do not have time for formalities... There are several things you need to know and we do not have much time. I know that about thirty years ago you almost lost your life in the final battle of Asterin and Mistan and Thor saved you from certain death but this is not what happened. You see... A few years before that battle I had a vision. A reoccurring dream of you dying and soon after, my son... I discussed this vision with my court and tried to decipher what it meant and how to deal with it. We analyzed every element of it. How the last person you saw was Thor, his armor and the length of his hair, to determine how soon this will happen as well as other details. I trusted Heimdall to keep an eye out for that moment and got immediately notified when that battle was about to begin. I arrived soon after with my best healers to save you."

Too much information to process. The only memory I had after Thor left was me seeing a rich yellow. It was a warm yellow light that washed over me and relieved me from my pain. I did not think any of it. Many people that have faced death have seen divine lights.  Apparently, that was her...

"But Thor was not in any danger. Even if I did die he would have lived."

"I did not insinuate that son."

"Loki? I am supposed to save Loki? From what?"

"My boy had fallen into dark paths before he met you. I as well thought about physical injuries at first but I am starting to believe you saved him in a different way. He has been asking about your wellbeing every time I visit and when he speaks about you I see a spark in his eyes that I forgot it existed."