Part 5

Loki

During the entire meal, I couldn't wait for it to come to an end. At first, there was no meaningful conversation taking place mostly the queen posing me questions and me cautiously lying to all of them. I had no desire to discuss Asgard and my family but the questions just kept coming.

Across from me was seated Lady Althea who paid no attention to my interaction with the queen. She mostly was focused on her plate and periodically acted as if she was engaging to appear polite. Something was certainly troubling her. Possibly out of her nervousness she was occasionally twisting the ring that she wore on her index finger with her thumb.

On the other hand, the princess could not keep her eyes off of me. If her mother hadn't bombarded me with irrelevant questions she would have pitched in with her own. It was a positive that she showed feelings of affection towards me since I was about to ask her father for her hand in marriage. Speaking of him similarly to his daughter observed me like a hawk.

Dessert was served and I knew that the real conversation was about to begin. Even Lady Althea seemed to liven up. The moment the b&b plates touched the surface of the table the King uttered. "So Prince Loki you haven't told us where you initially planned to teleport before you accidentally landed here."

Without lifting my eyes I took a spoonful of my dessert. "No, I believe I haven't" I took my time savoring my cake so I could think of a valid answer.

"I was heading back to Asgard of course"

"Where were you leaving from" It started to feel like an interrogation so I decided to look at him this time. People tend to believe your lies if you glance into their eyes and seem sincere.

"My father had sent me to Midgard to resolve an unexpected issue with the spies we had sent a few years ago"

Miss Althea decided to take the next round of questions. "What is that interesting on Midgard that you planted spies?"

"A while ago they became aware of life on other planets. Before, they had the impression that they were the only life forms in the universe..." Everyone chuckled with that comment except Althea. Unamused she fixed her napkin on her feet. "We want to be aware of any new weapons or strategies that they will develop now that they are afraid"

Everyone believed me except her. She probably would have fallen back to her thoughts if the king had not addressed her.

"We were discussing with Lady Althea that it would be a great opportunity for her to show you the city and how much it altered from your last visit."

It felt like torture. I could not refuse for the reason that it would be disrespectful of me to decline after not visiting since I was a child. I had the longest day ever and I had desired to just speak to the king and then finally head to my chambers.

"What a lovely idea. Perhaps instead of walking, we could take the horses if it is okay with you your majesty."

"I do not see why not"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Althea

I was very tempted to give him one of our most stubborn horses but I decided last second not to. It would have made my mood to see him struggle. I was not looking forward to this evening and by the expression on his face neither did he.

He got on the horse gracefully and waited for me to lead the way. I thanked the stable boys that helped us and tapped gently my horse with my heels to set it in motion.