Part 6

Althea

After my little adventure with Loki I felt guiltier than ever before. I was not meant to spill out my soul like I did. My pilot intention was to let him rattle on about himself so I could gather details about him but that plan failed miserably.

I opened my room's door craving nothing more than sleep. I took off my heavy multilayered dress and slipped into my silk nightgown. I sat in front of my dressing table and gazed at my reflection. I did not look horrendous but my hair was not as it was this morning.

Maid Lena knocked on my door, always on time. She was more like a motherly figure to me than a servant. She greeted me smiling always cheerful and ready to gossip about my day. I usually had nothing interesting to tell her but tonight I couldn't wait to start our every day ritual. I opened the drawer in front of me, grabbed my brush and offered it to her all excited to start narrating.
She gently started brushing while watching me through the mirror, waiting for me to start.

"Have you heard about Thor's brother arrival?"

"How couldn't I have? It was the most talked subject not only in the castle but in Asterin."

I began to take off my silver rings and placed them on my desk. I enjoyed wearing jewelry but having them on all day was quite irritating.

"There is a rumor going around that he will become the next King"

I scoffed at that statement while taking off my necklace. "Who was that fraudulent person spreading this ridiculous story?"

"No one knows who started it. Everyone seemed to truly believe it until you were spotted having a romantic evening with the prince"

I was mid talking off one of my earings when these words caught me off guard. I started to panick but I could not let myself show how much these words affected me.

Luther suggested for me to go on a walk with him clearly for strategic purposes. If gossip reached his ears that I was on a date with Loki he would get furious.

"Nothing happened between me and the younger prince, people just have the desire to create fake stories for their own amusement."

"I wouldn't blame you. I've heard he is quite handsome."

She stopped stroking my hair, placing gently the comb in the drawer. She rested her hands on my shoulders and looked at me in the eyes. "You have been here for so many years Althea and I haven't heard you even once refer to the word love. It would not be that tragic to give it a try." She kissed me on my cheek and left me alone with my thoughts.

Before our conversation I felt extreme fatigue but it was now gone. The room felt suffocating and I desperately needed fresh air. I put on one of my simplest garments and rushed out of the room heading to the nearest balcony.

As soon as fresh cold air hit my skin I felt instantly better. The view was immaculate and no matter how long I stayed there I could never get used to it. I lined on the porch to try to take a glimpse of the stables at the bottom of the mountain but I saw nothing but darkness. The night sky resembled nothing like earth's. Since this planet was not overpopulated you had a clear view of all the stars and galaxies. Replacing the earth's moon was a nearby planet with blue and purple tones three times larger. Every time I felt anxious during the night or I had a nightmare this view always calmed me down.

Lost in my own thoughts it took me a while to notice light coming from the public library at the east wing. Probably one of the nobles having trouble sleeping himself.

That was the moment I felt a presence next to me causing me almost to fall behind. The mysterious man caught me before I hit the marble floor. By placing a hand on my bare back that was not covered by my dress, he brought me back on my feet. His touch was soft and gentle making me feel safe and not threatened. It was so dark outside that I had to take a closer look to realize that the person before me was the man of the hour, Loki.

"I apologize if I frightened you, that was not my intention"

"Do not worry my mind was elsewhere, anything would have scared me."

He removed his coat without a second thought and placed it over my shoulders. I had not registered until that moment how cold my skin was. With one hand he carefully lifted my hair that was trapped under the coat and placed it on my back. A bizarre warm feeling rushed through my chest forcing my heart to bit faster than usual. If he was any closer i might have had done something I would had later regretted.

The moment was over. He had turned the other direction admiring the night view. I snapped out of the loving state myself. I started to seek for any guards at the door, wondering how was he freely roaming the halls of the castle.

"How are you here without guards?"

"I must have left the room during them changing shifts."

I rolled my eyes knowing he couldn't see me. He could have been looking for the Tesseract for all I knew.

"How did you find me here?"

"I got lost in the corridors and then I spotted you. If you desire to be left alone I understand."

"No I do not mind."

I said that way too fast and I probably made the situation awkward. I tried to redeem myself by choosing a subject for discussion.

"You have not told me yet what were you up to at Midgard."

"It's a large and rather sad story not appropriate for the moment."

I couldn't get a glimpse of him through the darkness but I was pretty sure he was smiling with his smart response.

"I don't think quoting me will save you considering I actually told you my story after that sentence."

"Not all of it."

"If that is the problem you could also voice half of your story even if that was not our original agreement."

"You cheated on that race."

"You cheated first."

I turned and sat on the porch not fearing falling. The sky lit his face enough for me to stare into his eyes.

"Alright, but the story I am about to tell you it is better if it stays between us. Thor got exiled from Asgard a while ago. He had begun to act recklessly and all mighty father of course tried to reason with him with no success. He stripped him of his powers and sent him to Midgard. Thor managed to redeem himself but during his stay fell in love with a mortal. He obviously did not want Odin to find out after all the disappointment he gave him before. I was visiting Midgard secretly to meet this woman and explain to her that it is for the best if Thor was left alone. I cannot imagine what father's reaction would be if he found out."

Loki

"Is it that scandalous that Thor has a platonic relationship with a mortal?"

"Thor was about to take Odins place as a king. Having a relationship with a mortal that will die in a blink of an eye it is not very wise of him."

I was almost certain Althea was the one secretly controlling the kingdom. Every word that was coming out of my mouth would reach the kings ears. They portrayed Thor as a loving person and a hero and me as the villain. If people found out that my brother was not as perfect as they thought I would have had a chance being the future king.

"It is getting pretty late. I will escort you my prince to your chamber since you lost your way."

I did not need to reply I just silently followed her. I felt comfortable walking with her like I did this morning. I could not not notice her attractiveness. Maybe I would have acted on it if it was not going to ruin my plans.

When we reached our destination I kissed her knuckles and thanked her for this evening. It was safe to say that she probably liked me as well since she blushed not expecting that move.