Chapter 1

"What are you gonna do about it?" I challenged her, this didn't happen often which was why when I said that her jaw dropped, and had the stare of   'I'm gonna beat your ass'

"That's it!" she yelled, Oh I had really done it this time "pack your shit up you can go live with your father! You can be his problem now". I didn't want to push any further so I went into my room and packed my things. My dad was a lawyer in LA. He left my mom when I was about 8, and my mom kept me because of my dad's awful work schedule.

I open my closet and take out all of my clothes and dump them in the cardboard boxes that my mom chucked at me. I can hear my mom yelling in the living room to my dad on the phone. "You can have her Larry, it's time for you to deal with her crap! No- I'm not gonna calm down!" she continues to bargain with him on the phone, in hope that he'll take me.

"Your flight is tomorrow at 9 am and you'll be attending All Valley high school," she says with a blank face and walks out without giving me a chance to say a word. I kept packing all the stuff I would need and think about the last time I saw my dad. I was about 12 or 13 and I used to go spend the summers with him. He would try and take some time off of work but most of the time I was left to find my own fun which led me to make friends around the neighbourhood.

*****

I just finished packing and made a carry on to take to the plane with me. My mom wasn't gonna make dinner for me, so I went and made myself a PB sandwich and brought it back to my room. I was not about to sit in the awkwardly silent dining room. I threw in this new mixtape I made into my walkman and pressed play. I got comfortable and flipped through a new magazine that I just got. Eventually, I drifted off to sleep in hopes of getting away from my mother soon.

*****

I woke up in a panic as I looked at my alarm clock that read 7:45 am in the bright red digital writing. I grabbed my luggage and my carry on and made some toast so I wouldn't completely starve on the plane. "Lisa so helps me god if you miss your flight" my mom started. As I practically inhaled the toast I made and ran out the door where my mom was waiting in the car.

"I'm coming!" I yelled. The drive was long, silent, and awkward. "So is dad picking me up when I get there?" I said breaking the painful silence.

"Yes" was all she said. Thanks, mom for contributing to the conversation. We pulled up to the airport and it was super busy, as everyone was trying to get back home after summer vacation. I'm from Canada, and I know what you're thinking 'what in the world is she doing in Canada of all places?' and well let me answer that for you my mom is a nurse from Canada and she met my dad when she started working in America because the pay was better. It's all one pathetic love story that ended in divorce and my mom moving back home to have more 'family' support, not that we really get that anyway.

I went into the airport and went through customs and was a long wait but I eventually sat near my gate. I pulled out my walkman and listened to my music but made sure to keep the volume low enough to hear around me. I did have an 8-hour flight ahead of me.

We finally landed and noticed the palm trees. I threw on my sunglasses and went to go look for my dad. I noticed him straight away in business attire and looked like he was in a serious conversation on his clunky cellphone. Once he noticed me he ended the call, "Hey sweetheart, how's it going?" he said in a sweet tone.

"Well as you heard from mom's phone call I'm great," I said in a sarcastic tone and he just laughed and gave me a side hug as we went to go pick up my luggage.

A/n: hey guys I hope you like my first chapter !