ii. w r a c k s p u r t s

The feast was amazing as always. There was pudding and cookies, which were, of course, delicious. The only thing different was an ugly toad faced lady in pink who interrupted Dumbledore's speech.

The new first years were as scared as always. They were alert, glancing all around, but nevertheless they laughed and enjoyed the feast along with the rest of us.

My old friends greeted me when we first sat down, but they haven't talked to me since, and I don't imagine they will. Besides, I would rather avoid anyone who thinks so much as thinks badly about Luna. After what they did last year, I want to curse them into oblivion. But of course I don't want to get expelled or go to azkaban.

"Oh hi Venus," was what Padma Patil said. Venus. My friends used to call me Vee.

Lisa Turpin waved at me but didn't actually say anything. Mandy Brockelhurst didn't even acknowledge me. Unfortunately, I would have to share a dorm with them.

Surprisingly, Su Li greeted me as I sat down. Su was an introvert and didn't like to talk to anyone so I found this quite strange.

"Oh hello Su. How are you? Did you have a good summer?" I asked, hoping to start a conversation.

"I'm good, so happy to be back at Hogwarts!" she smiled. "And my summer was so much fun! We went to France!" Su added.

"That sounds like so much fun! We didn't do much this summer. Well, unless you count the Malfoy's summer ball" I rolled my eyes because Narcissa Malfoy's balls were the same every year.

My parents wanted me to be friends with Draco Malfoy, but I couldn't stand the slimy ferret. Of course, him being the arrogant git he is, thinks that I'm in love with him and 'playing hard to get'. Ugh. I hate him so much. The worst part is, I'm pretty sure my parents sold me to the Malfoy's years ago, and they plan for us to get married.

Every summer, and every Christmas my parents forced me to go to these ridiculous balls that Narcissa Malfoy hosts. I'm sure they would be quite enjoyable if my parents didn't make me spend it with Draco. I have to dance with him because I guess it sets a good example or something. But I've always hated him because of his blood prejudice. My parents believe in it too of course, but not like the Malfoys. And anyways, he's super annoying.

But until this summer, I could tolerate him. He was starting to mature, and I was starting to think we could even be friends. But then he asked me, "Why do you even hang out with that Loony Lovegood? She's so weird, and the Lovegood's are crazy blood traitors".

"You don't even know her, how can you say that?" I asked, looking him dead in the eye as my insides burned with rage.

"Whatever. People talk. You shouldn't talk to her anymore or you'll ruin your reputation" he avoided my eyes.

"So that's all you care about? What other people think? Draco Malfoy you are the most arrogant, slimy little git I-" but I couldn't finish my sentence.

He kissed me. I slapped him across the face and pushed him away. I quickly looked around to see if anyone saw.

"Ow!" he whined, grabbing his face.

"What the bloody hell are you doing?!" I whispered.

"What do you mean? I thought you liked me!" he whispered, annoyed.

"Malfoy, I've told you before that I'm not interested. Besides, you can't just kiss a girl! How do you know I wanted to be kissed? Even if I did like you!" Now I was screaming for real.

Now that I thought about it, he really wasn't that bad, before all of this. So why did I hate him? He was always nice to me, he treated me like a princess. Of course he was annoying, he wasn't nice to anyone else, especially my friends. I think if I wanted to, I could have liked him. But why didn't I want to? Any girl would go nuts if Draco liked them, just ask Pansy Parkinson.

I couldn't stop thinking about her. That night I couldn't sleep because my mind was on Luna all night. I didn't know why, but she was all I could think about.

I thought about her long golden hair, her deep blue dreamy eyes. Her gorgeous smile. How she always looked like she was in deep thought.

She had been on my mind all summer. I thought it was because I missed her, but now I'm here with her at Hogwarts and I'm still thinking about her.

Mandy was snoring again, so I decided to go for a midnight stroll. I wandered up to the astronomy tower. It really was beautiful from up here. I thought of Draco, and about the kiss. I thought of when Michael Corner asked me out last year. He's an arse so there's no need to explain why I rejected him.

But what about Terry Boot? Last year he told me he had a crush on me, so I agreed to go to Hogsmeade with him. I had a lot of fun so I went with him again, and eventually we were dating. But I realized that I didn't like him. He was about to kiss me at the yule ball and I ran out. I never understood why- but then it came to me. The answer hit me like a brick to the face- which doesn't feel very good, trust me. That night I ran straight to Luna.

It was so obvious. Why hadn't I seen it before?

I was totally and completely in love with Luna Lovegood.

But she's a girl... so I can't, can I?

Besides, she's perfect.

No. No you're not in love. Wrackspurts have migrated into your stupid hollow head venus. You're not in love.

But then why was I always thinking about her? It was as though she was a wrackspurt. She couldn't be an animagus could she?

No. No, that's the stupidest thought you've ever had. Go to bed young lady, you're too tired. There are wrackspurts infesting your mind.