viii. t h e h a r e a n d t h e d o e

The DA was so much fun, especially being partners with Luna.

I have finally accepted that I am in fact, in love with Luna. I know I shouldn't be. I just don't know what my family would say. We're a pure-blood family and I'm expected to be perfect. Does this mean I'm not perfect? I just know my parents would hate it.

And do I tell luna? How do I tell Luna? How do you tell your best friend you love her? It's hard enough, but then, she's a girl. She probably doesn't like girls. She probably likes boys. Ss I should. But I don't. I like her.

This was the meeting everyone was excited for—patronuses.

Harry explained that we had to focus on our happiest memory, and say the incantation; expecto patronum.

He demonstrated, then had us try it.  Luna got hers before me, her patronus is a hare. I got mine shortly after, which was also a hare. I know Harry and Ron are too blind to notice these things, but I wasn't sure about Hermione.

I was thinking about dancing with Luna at the Yule Ball, we both loved that song and ever since it's been our song. We have a whole duet routine to the song.

At the end of the meeting I hung back with the three and walked down the hall with Hermione, Harry and Ron walking ahead of us.

"Vee, I know."

"What? Know what?"

She leaned in and whispered.

"I know you're in love with Luna."

My heart stopped.

"Wha-what?" I stuttered.

"Your patronus. It was the same as hers. Besides, it's obvious. The way you look at her. And you're always talking about her. Have you ever noticed how your eyes light up when you see her? Your smile grows wider... you laugh more.. And you're always blushing when you talk to her."

"I-i didn't know" I said quietly. "I didn't realize it was so obvious."

"Well it is' she sighed. "Harry and Ron definitely don't know. Those boys are just so daft. They don't see what's right in front of them. But I do."

"You mean like how Ron doesn't see you right in front of him and know you're in love with him?" Hermione grinned and elbowed my side.

"Should I... should I tell her?" I asked.

"Yes."

"But—"

"Fear of rejection is irrelevant," she interrupted. "It's okay if she doesn't like you like that. This is Luna, you two will always be close, whether it's as friends or... more."

"Mione... there's something else."

"Hm?"

"Its... Malfoy. I think he's like, in love with me" I whispered so the boys wouldn't hear.

"What?" she exclaimed, and Ron turned to her.

'"Shh. Ron, it's fine."

He turned around suspiciously.

"What do you mean he's in love with you? How do you even know him? Other than the obvious— him being a bully."

"His mom, Narcissa, throws these fancy balls at Christmas and in the summer, my parents make me go every year. And they make me spend it with Draco... we were kind of friends, I mean, I could tolerate him. He's actually quite nice when you get to know him-" She stared in disbelief at this. "And at the last ball, over the summer, he kissed me. I've been avoiding him ever since."

"Oh...ok" she nodded slowly. "Venus, I think you should at least explain it to him. of course if any of them paid any attention they'd realize—"

"Hermione!" I nudged her. "You're being loud again!"

"Sorry! Sorry!" she whispered. "But you should tell him."

"Ok, ok, I will."

We reached the stairs to the Ravenclaw tower.

"Goodnight Mione" I waved. "Goodnight Harry, goodnight Ron," I called quietly.

"Goodnight Vee!" they said together as they turned and waved.

I was dreading talking to Draco; I had avoided him since our encounter in the classroom, which was weeks ago. Eventually he just completely gave up trying to talk to me.

I saw him first after potions the next day leaning against a wall, talking to Blaise Zabini. I tapped him on the shoulder. He spun around and looked at me questioningly.

"Ah, see, Adler, you're avoiding me. Looks like you messed up" he sighed.

"Can I talk to you please?" I asked quietly, ignoring him.

"I guess so."

I grabbed his wrist and pulled him away from Blaise and the rest of the Slytherins.

"Ok, what's up?" he asked.

"Hermi- Er, I decided I should explain why I... er- rejected you."

"Ok."

"Er.. well I actually like some-someone else. Actually I- I love them" I said slowly.

"Ahhh who is it?" he groaned. "Please, please, don't tell me it's Potter."

"No it's uhm... it's not him" I looked down. "It's Luna... Luna Lovegood" I said quietly.

"Loony?"

"Er..yeah."

"Oh, ok. I'm just glad it's not Potter."

"You don't think it's... weird?"

"No? Why would it be? Because she's a girl"

"I'm sorry I was so angry with you" I said looking him in the eyes again. "And I'm sorry I was avoiding you."

"It's okay. It makes sense now, why you were immune to my irresistible charms" he grinned and I rolled my eyes.. "Sorry I kissed you."

"Can we be friends?"

"Yes, I would love that."

"Are you still..."

"In love with you?' he asked. I nodded. "Oh that was just a silly crush. Can I tell you a secret?" he whispered.

"Yeah," I smiled.

"I'm in love. Really."

I gasped. "who?"

"Pansy Parkinson" he grinned.

I grinned back.

"She's pretty. Watch out, I might come after her"his smile faltered. "I'm kidding!"

"Oh" he started laughing.

"I'm glad we're ok."

"Me too."

"You should tell Pansy, its obvious she likes you too."

'If you tell Luna.'

"Deal." I held out my hand and he shook it.

"Tell me what she says."

"You tell me what she says."

We smiled at each other and walked away.

"Oh, Draco!" I called from down the hall, turning.

"Yeah?"

"See you at your Christmas ball" I smirked. "Pansy better be there with you."

He grinned and waved me off, then spun around and turned the corner.

And so, it was finally time for the thing I had been dreading: confessing.

oh by the way, the hare and the doe is a reference to 'always' snilly or when they thought tonks was in love with sirius in hbp, if you know what i mean. just if you didn't get it.

xoxo,
gossip girl <3