x. n e w y e a r s

Telling my parents was the scary part. Luna introduced me to her father after we kissed.

"Daddy, I want you to meet Venus" she smiled, holding my hand.

"So you're the girl my Luna has been telling me so much about" he took my free hand in both of his and beamed at me. "It's wonderful to meet you."

"Venus is my girlfriend now," Luna said happily.

My heart fluttered at the word. I smiled bigger and held her hand tighter.

"I thought you two were already- from the way you talked about her I knew you adored her" Xenophilius Lovegood laughed and hugged us both. "Would you and your family care to join us for dinner on New Years Eve? I would love to get to know you better" he asked.

"I would love to, I'll just need to ask my parents."

I found Leo talking to my parents and decided to tell them too. I brought Luna, and my mother eyed our hands laced together.

"Mother, father, I want you to meet Luna Lovegood" I said as my parents shook her hand. "She's my... girlfriend."

My mother smiled at Luna. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Luna."

"And you as well, Mr and Mrs Adler."

"Oh, you may call us Diana and Damien. Mrs Adler makes me sound old."

"Alright" Luna smiled.

Leo hugged Luna and I. "I knew it. The twins owe me five galleons, thank you."

"You bet on us?"

"I knew you fancied each other and I bet you would be together by the end of the year. Fred bet you did like Luna but wouldn't have the guts to tell her. And George bet you didn't fancy each other."

"Were we that obvious?"

"Absolutely."

Luna and I laughed. "Mr Lovegood invited us all for dinner on New Years" I said, suddenly remembering.

"That sounds lovely" mother said.

Luna and I danced the rest of the night. I was surprised at how well my parents took it. I have a feeling it would be harder for them to get used to it, but I know they love me no matter what.

On New Year's Eve the four of us went to the Lovegoods for dinner. Luna gave me a tour of her house. It was shaped funny, and it was tall and cozy with vines covering the walls. The inside was colorful, with paintings on the walls and strange inventions everywhere.

Luna's room was a circle, with a half finished painting on the ceiling of Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Ginny and me. There was one big window over her bed, with long curtains around her bed. Paintings and inventions filled the room. It was charming and messy with books piled around her book shelf because she had so many. A spiral staircase was in the center of the room that led down to the rest of the house.

Luna gave me a tour of their garden, she showed me the pond and the forest around her house. It was beautiful.

"I'll give you a tour of my manor next time. It's not as charming as your house, but I guess it's home."

"I'd like that," Luna smiled.

Whatever my mother was expecting, it wasn't this. All of her friends were rich and lived in manors like castles. She wasn't used to small cottages with overgrown vines and colorful paint on the walls. Our house was darker. My mother loves space and stars, hence why she named me after a planet. We had an astronomy tower with a telescope where you could see the stars. The house was filled with antique furniture and dark colors.

My parents were both Ravenclaws, but they weren't eccentric like the Lovegoods. They were sophisticated and kind, clever and, honestly, a bit dull. They both have boring jobs at the Ministry of Magic. I have no idea how those two managed to create a buffoon like Leo.

Said buffoon, Leo, was currently checking out Mr Lovegood's inventions, probably taking mental notes for a future invention for a scheme with the twins. Luna and I were sitting on the carpet in her living room and my parents were sitting on the sofa asking us about our classes.

I looked at the clock on the wall and realized it was nearly midnight. Everyone was so distracted they hadn't even noticed.

"Guys!" I exclaimed. "Its nearly New Years!"

Leo looked down at his watch and came into the living room with us, with Mr Lovegood behind him. Leo started counting down from ten and we all joined in. At midnight I kissed Luna. I hugged her, smiling, and looked at my parents, happily kissing. Luna stood and hugged her father, and I hugged Leo. Then we hugged our parents too.

"Happy New Year!"