iii. a s t o l e n k i s s

When I woke up the next day, the first thing I thought about was Luna. But that doesn't mean I'm in love with her, right?

It took me a moment to remember my thoughts on the astronomy tower last night.

I sighed. You're not in love. You're not in love. What will mom and dad say? It doesn't matter because you're not in love. What will my friends think? They won't have anything to think about because you're not in love. What would Luna say? She won't find out. Is it possible that she feels the same? No. Actually yes because you're not in love with her, she's your best friend.

I changed into my robes and gathered my things slowly. As I battled hopelessly with myself as I brushed my hair and realized I was going to be late. I didn't have time to go to breakfast so I picked up my books, quills and wand and ran to class.

Luckily my first class is History of Magic with Gryffindor. I'm really not in the mood to face Malfoy today. I ran out after the kiss and we hadn't spoken since.

I took a seat beside Hermione, knowing the boys would want to copy our notes. We both knew it was pointless to try to hide it from them.

The class was as boring as always. And same as every History of Magic class, Harry and Ron played hangman while Hermione shot them filthy looks from the corner of her eye.

Professor Binns went on and on with his boring slow voice. I tried to pay attention but only caught half of what he was saying. Hermione nudged me a couple times as I started to drift off, and smacked Harry and Ron over the heads with a book once or twice.

As we left the class Ron and Hermione argued again.

"Oh give it a rest you two!" I sighed, slapping them both in the back of the head. "Why don't you two just get married already? The romantic tension in the air is stuffing my sinuses" I said it seriously hiding a grin.

Ron's ears went pink and he faced away, avoiding our eyes. Hermione scoffed and walked faster.

"She's right you know mate" Harry nudged Ron, smirking.

"Shut up Harry," Ron said, turning and speeding in the opposite direction of Hermione.

Harry and I grinned at each other as we walked out to the courtyard. He laughed and said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it".

"Oh it's not just them Harry- oh look who's walking over!" I teased and his eyes quickly found Cho Chang.

"What? I- I don't know what you mean" Harry stuttered and turned to Cho as she approached.

"Hello, Harry!" Cho said and Harry turned a bit red. I giggled and Harry threw me a look of pure disgust.

"Okay, okay, I'm going" I sighed. "I wonder where Hermione went" I turned and went to look for Hermione.

I found her on her way out to the courtyard.

"Where were you Mione?" I acted dramatic while saying, "We were ever so worried about you!" struggling to keep a straight face.

Hermione laughed and shrugged.

"I just had to find a book from the library before potions," she said casually.

"Oh, here comes Ron," I said, noticing Ron behind her. She quickly turned and went over to Harry and Cho.

"Uh oh Harrys about to make a bloody fool of himself" Ron sighed and hurried over.

Ron stopped in his tracks a few feet from Cho with a look of horror on his face.

"Is that a Tornados badge?" he demanded. "You support them do you?" he looked scandalized.

"Yeah, I do," said Cho.

"Let's go" I whispered to Hermione, sighing. Boys could be so clueless.

She nodded and we walked slowly towards potions. On my way there I saw Luna sitting alone on the floor writing on a piece of parchment. My heart stopped.

"Vee, wait up!" I heard her call from down the hall.

"Oh, hi Luna!" I smiled. My heart was beating now but it felt like an earthquake.

I noticed she had a different necklace on.

"Nice necklace," I said, pointing at it.

"Thanks, it's a charm actually" her voice was as dreamy as always. "It keeps away the nargles" she said seriously, looking from me to Hermione before waving, turning and skipping away down the hall.

Hermione shot me a questioning look. I shrugged, as if to say I didn't know what she was talking about, though I knew all about nargles from Luna.

From what Luna had told me, a nargle is an adorable yet sometimes mischievous creature in size and appearance somewhat like the bushbaby. Most people don't believe in nargles, but Luna is thoroughly convinced these creatures exist.

"I have potions now. I'll see you at lunch" Hermione waved and walked the opposite direction.

Why was I so nervous to talk to Luna? She is my best friend after all. I must be going mad.

My thoughts were interrupted however, because I heard the drawling voice of none other than Draco Malfoy.

Great. Just what I needed right now. I dashed into the nearest classroom which, luckily, was empty, just as he turned the corner.

I really hope he didn't see me...

"Adler, you're supposed to be in class. Do I need to take away house points?" So he did see me. Perfect.

"What do you want?" I snapped and spun around and glared at him.

He dramatically put his hand over his heart and acted as though he was very hurt. "What do you mean?" he cried.

"You know what, just drop the act. What do you want, Malfoy?" I asked sharply.

"Ok look, I just wanted to talk to you. You've been avoiding me ever since.." his voice trailed off and he looked at the ground.

"I know. I guess you probably want an explanation right? Why is she not obsessed with me like all the other girls?" I mocked.

"It's okay that you don't like me, but why were you so angry?" he asked, ignoring me.

He looked me in the eyes now and I saw how hurt and confused he looked.

"Okay. I'm sorry," I sighed. "It's just, that was my first kiss... and I feel like you kind of stole it from me" I looked away now and avoided his eyes.

"Is that so bad?" he asked quietly.

"Yes" I whispered and I quickly ran out of the classroom without another word.