sage

idea: 11starfish! gave me a whole new wave of ideas for this story- shes also so so sweet and supportive 🥺 in fact, everyone has been SO supportive of this story! my goal is to get 1k reads, but the votes and comments are more than I've ever had before! ily all sm and tysm for the support! yall don't know how in the feels i get when i read comments 💕

Link, Zelda, Yunobo, Teba, and Sidon were now standing in front of the destroyed Hyrule Castle, in Hyrule Field. There was a moment of silence as they all stared at the piled boulders and deactivated Guardians, Link's mind remembering when they flashed purple and everything was pure darkness. He flinched away from the awful memories and looked up at the birds that flew in an arrow formation across the cloud-dotted orange sky. As the sun set over the tip of the castle's roof, the wholesome and/or disturbing moment was interrupted.

"So... what now?" Yunobo said insensitively. Teba smacked him on the back and rolled his eyes, but Zelda cleared her throat.

"Well, we begin to rebuild, I suppose... although now that I have gathered you all into one place..." she paused and turned around to face them. "I'm not exactly sure where to start..." Zelda began to doubt herself, Link could read her eyes.  He placed a hand on her shoulder.

"It's simple! First, we make sure there are absolutely no more major enemies that could really get in our way while rebuilding the castle," Link said, gesturing his hands. "For example- I believe that Guardian at the stable was the last evil Guardian we will see for a long time. Bokoblins aren't a big problem... as long as we're paying attention, anyway- and everything else is gone."

"That's where you're wrong, Link," Sibon said, arms crossed. Link turned to him challengingly, crossing his arms as well and looking him up and down. "The Yiga Clan," Sidon muttered, and Link sighed in realization, rubbing his eyes with his palms.

"Alright, simple. We'll ambush them." Zelda said, like it were nothing as she fixed her teal clip and flicked a piece of golden hair out of her face. Link let out a loud chuckle and placed both hands on her shoulders.

"You're brave, Zel, but a little too brave. Every time you say something like that I end up with a god damn scar somewhere." Link felt 4 pairs of eyes on him and blushed as he took his arms off her shoulders, realizing he may have left them there for a little too long. Zelda shifted uncomfortably at the cool breeze taking effect on the once warm spot where Link's hands had been. Link glanced at the descendants of the mighty Champions, and all of their eyes were suggestively wide. The blood rushed to his face and he rolled his eyes, disgusted as Sidon and Teba whispered to each other and Yunobo held back a smile. Riju stared as if this was no news to her. But Zelda's face wasn't red with embarrassment, but with annoyance. She disliked being pushed around or told what to do, even from Link.

"Link, you are my knight. Despite our recent-" She glanced up at the others watching her. "...interactions, you should not be thinking any different. I am your superior," she ordered, raising her chin and thrusting her shoulders back. Link smiled, knowing she was joking, but something in his heart caused him pain. A pain that flowed through his veins, and up to his eyes as they flooded with tears. He blinked them away, acting unphased, but deep down he wondered if she had actually meant what she said. Zelda turned on the heel of her boot and walked away. No one knew where she was going, but followed.

*_*_*_*_*_*

They eventually made their way to a path along a river, the sounds around them deafening compared to the rushing water. Link and Riju walked side by side, as well as Teba and Sidon, with Zelda at the front, trying to look confident, but Link could tell she felt a little lonely. He shook his head and looked at the ground. Riju looked up at him, eyes sympathetic.

"So when did you kiss?"

"What?!"

"It's obvious, Link. Body language? You're not very discreet. The bird brain and flubber fins might not have realized it, but I'm not stupid. Go on! Spill!" Riju prompted, nudging his elbow. A smile curved on his lips and he looked back up at the sky.

"The hot springs. But nothing- weird, or anything. In fact, it wasn't a perfect situation."

"What happened?"

"I boiled over. With anger. Sadness. Everything spilled out of me like a waterfall, word vomit. I couldn't even control myself. But what I hate about it is- we act like it didn't happen..." he said softly, looking back at his brown boots. Riju placed a tiny hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay. The Princess is..." she looked up at the back of Zelda's head ahead of her. "Headstrong. Stubborn. Opinionated. But she is also caring. Protective. Brave. She cares about you, Link. A lot. Would she trust you to cut her hair if she didn't? I don't mean to be offensive, but I would not let you do that." Riju said, chuckling under her breath and stroking her hair. Link looked at her, surprised. "That's a little besides the point, but what I'm trying to say is she trusts you. Likes you. Link, she loves you. Just as much as you do her. She just- doesn't want to express it. And sure, you didn't want to either, but she expresses anger after feeling provoked. It's strange. She is hard to read, but not that hard." Riju looked up at Link to see his blue eyes weren't on her at all. He glared through his golden bangs at the other side of the river, at the sage trees on the other side.

The still, green leaves twitched slightly. On again, off again. The grass would flatten then rise again. The bushes would shake ever so subtly, almost teasing him. He squinted. He saw a black glove appear from the shadows. He leaped out of the way and jumped onto a boulder in the river, to the other side with impossible speed and agility. Everyone spun around, feathers, fins and hair swinging. They gasped as they watched Link swing his sword at something that was hidden by the enclosing darkness of the mysterious shadows. Zelda covered her mouth, muffling an unintentional scream of his name. But it was still audible. Link turned to her, eyes helpless and terrified. She had never seen his eyes go so pale, so fearful. Her own eyes filled with tears and pooled in the grooves of her nose as she watched him attempt to run towards her. But he tripped over something that most certainly wasn't natural. He was dragged back into the shadows. The ominous unknown of the shadows. Sidon, Teba, and Riju screamed and tears fell down Zelda's face silently. Suddenly, she saw a glimpse of teal. She blinked back tears and tried to make out what it was. But her heart sank into her stomach, losing all hope as soon as she saw what it was.

Link's tunic, upside down, crunching as he attempted to pull himself up, reaching for whatever was holding him by his foot. Then he would reach for his back, most likely the sword that sealed the darkness, hanging. But he eventually gave up, simply trying to hold his head up and keep conscious. Zelda saw a black glove hanging on to Link's boot. And in the shadows, Zelda caught a glimpse of something she would always remember- a small flicker of light illuminated it.

A 7 feet tall figure, with large biceps and abs...

A reflective weapon that was long, had the design of a flame, looked lightweight and the tip was so sharp it was very visible.

She saw it was wearing something-

A white mask with a maroon inverted eye.

The Yiga Clan never weakened.

They were still here, and stronger than ever before.

SURPRISE! if you haven't noticed, i feel my writing has gotten better! a more expanded vocabulary, and allegedly a better word choice. because that whole time i was gone, i was actually at a (virtual) writing camp! idk why i kept it a secret, it wasn't meant to be i was just busy and was wondering if maybe yall would see a difference?

but thank you for the ideas and support, bc even tho i was literally AT A WRITERS CAMP, i still had a major writers block and the rest of this story wouldn't have been here without you guys! tysm 🥺

(also are fanfics still a thing i-)