white

Link's eyes swelled with tears as he realized what was happening. Blood poured onto the ground and splattered on the grass. Link crashed to the ground, not able to control his landing with the unbelievable guilt he felt. He looked down at the green grass that was dotted with dirt, blurry from tears, and listened to someone else crash to the ground.

Laying on the ground, in a crumpled, bloodied heap- was Zelda.

The arrow had pierced her stomach, her white, leather, braided traveling shirt torn and splitting around the arrow that stuck out of her. Survival was unlikely. Link stumbled upward as the Yiga turned into a cloud of dust, traveling back to their base. He nearly fell as he ran towards Zelda, with her bright green eyes dimming and turning into that lifeless gray that made him panic. he collapsed in front of her and held her in his arms, hands covered in his lover's blood (THAT SHOULD BE A FREAKING SONG- HANDS COVERED IN MY LOVERS BLOOD ok sorry continue reading now) as tears flooded over the edges of his eyes silently. He choked as he tried to hold them back.

"Zel- why did you do that?! Again!" He said in a high-pitched voice, wanting more than anything to break down and sob into her, allow all his emotions to flood out of him. The tears he was trying so hard to control ripped and tore at his throat, pestering him with the sadness of the situation.

"I couldn't let you get hurt..." Zelda whispered. Tears were falling out of her eyes now as well, silently, her pale white face still plastered into a smile. She looked at Link as though she would never see him again- he hated that. His heart filled with determination.

"No! Don't look at me like that! You will survive!" he said, nearly choking on his tears again. His lips were parched and his stomach felt empty, yet filled with a queasy feeling that he had felt before- yet it was stronger than ever. He noticed the shadows change on Zelda's face and he glanced behind him to see the sun setting. Zelda gave a short, audible exhale, almost a laugh, as if it would be her last sunset with him.

"Link... we've been on so many adventures, neared death so many times for each other... I think we both knew it was bound to happen eventually..." She placed a bloodied, shaky hand on his face and coughed, desperate for a proper breath of air. Link was frozen with horror. "We just didn't want to accept it." Link let out a sob and held her hand on top of his cheek. "You'll be back at it again... the fate of Hyrule resting in your hands." Zelda smiled ever warmer and Link pulled her closer. The two teenagers, madly in love, held each other as the sun set down on them- illuminating each other's flawless features. It only made them realize how much they loved the other even more.

"C-can we go back to talking about you again?" Link asked, being a bit more sensitive than he wanted to be in front of her. Zelda let out half of a laugh.

"I love you." She practically mouthed this as she fell unconscious in his arms. Link felt his heart shatter and seemingly disintegrate inside of him... he had a gut feeling this wound was different from the rest. It took such a toll on him- he was sobbing into her shoulder as she lay unconscious, yes, this had happened before... so what was so unlike the other times? But he allowed his confusion to turn into hope- there was still the small possibility she could live.

"H-help!" Link shouted, his voice breaking. Dorian and Cado, two Kakariko guards, almost immediately rushed to Zelda and carried her away. Link sat there and watched as they carried her up the hill. He brought his knees to his chest and cried.

Of course he had been worried the time this had happened before, but something about this felt so much different. What if that 'I love you' really was Zelda's last?

*_*_*_*_*

That night, Link had been sitting, eyes red around the edges from tire, on the stairs in front of Impa's house. Paya had asked him to come in, for the night was chilly and windy, multiple times, but Link didn't want to. He couldn't do it. He sat with his arm on one leg, hand on his cheek and the other leg bouncing uncontrollably. Every time someone walked by, he would jump up and ask if she was okay. He even asked Cottla and she ran away from him screaming. He didn't blame her, he probably did look like a vampire. Finally, Cado came walking slowly down the hill, his head low. Link lept up and sprinted towards him, only the smallest bit of hope left in him after seeing Cado's posture.