f i f t y . f o u r

at long last - after six months apart - the five were finally assembled together in one room. gon, killua, kurapika, leorio and [name] stared at one another with smiles on their faces. kurapika and [name] were given time to rest after their night at the auction and they decided to give the three standing in front of them a visit.

"it's been a while since we were all together last!" gon exclaimed, a wide grin stretching his face.

"it has... how long has it been? six-or-so months?? [name] estimated, humming as she calculated in her mind. "no matter, should we get going? where are we headed?"

"this way!"

~

"restraint and vow?"

the five sat in a circle around a glass top table, eyes all directed towards the blonde male, awaiting a further explanation.

"yeah. nen is strongly affected by your mental state," kurapika spoke, lifting his hand to reveal his nen-made chains. "the stronger your resolve, the more power you receive. however, you also incur a big risk at the same time. in return for nen power, i vowed to use it against the spiders alone. i established a rule for myself."

"what's the rule?" leorio asked, body leaning forwards in anticipation and curiosity.

"if i use my chains on one who isn't a spider," kurapika began, eyes shining with determination and seriousness. "i will forfeit my life."

the four, taken aback, gasped or flinched.

"huh? what do you mean?"

"there is a nen blade pointed at my heart. if i break the rule, that blade will pierce my heart, killing me. this is the rule that shows my resolve; restraint and vow," kurapika explained, looking down at the chains on his right hand. "my power is the product of pure hatred. it only works on spiders. i'm telling you because i trust you. don't tell anyone else."

"why... why would you tell us something so important?!" killua snapped, standing up from his seat and surprising the group.

"i'm not sure.. with their leader's death, i must have relaxed."

"it'll be fine as long as we keep our mouths shut."

"it's too dangerous," killua claimed, eyebrows furrowing in frustration. "one of the surviving members can read minds. if they find out, kurapika won't be able to beat them!"

"but she didn't learn anything last time," gon stated, looking up at the exasperated white haired boy.

"that's because we didn't know kurapika was the chain user."

"then we just have to stay away from them. they've already checked you, so they think you're clean."

"but there's also a guy called nobunaga. he's especially dangerous. he's looking for kurapika and he's still trying to chase us down."

"is he aware that you guys know kurapika?" leorio asked killua, making the boy disagree. "then it's okay! as long as no one around the mind reader knows kurapika, then you're safe."

"well, i've also been in contact with hisoka."

"what?!"

"hisoka?!"

"he knows that i am the chain user. we made a pact but his target, the leader of the spiders, is now dead. so i don't know what he'll do," kurapika explained, head lowered as his hair tickled his face.

[name]'s eyes steadily moved from kurapika's face down to his hands. the chains chinked when there was a sudden movement and the light reflected off of the silver material. the chains complimented kurapika's hands. [name]'s eyes widened when she found the golden, ruby-embedded ring she had gave him before he set out to kill the phantom troupe member. she hadn't noticed it. [name]'s eyes softened as she smiled.

he kept it...

kurapika's eyebrow quirked when he felt [name]'s stare on him. he followed her eyes to look down at his right arm. he noticed the ring. his lips stretched as he lifted his hand and touched the ring.

"you might not have given me this with such intentions, but because of this ring, i managed to calm myself down when i was at my worst. thank you, [name]," kurapika whispered, staring into the scarlet ruby. "would you like it back?"

[name] smiled, shaking her head and leaning forward to touch the ring, then place her hand on the back of his.

"it's alright. you can keep it. it might come in handy later, too."

kurapika's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. he had made it clear he was going to focus on finding his brethren's eyes to her due to the sudden death of the phantom troupe leader. he opened his mouth to inquire on the topic, but was interrupted by his cellphone ringing.

[name] returned to sit in her seat properly and invited him to take the phone. kurapika nodded, rummaging through his pockets to take his cellphone and open it. it was a message from hisoka. kurapika's eyes widened to the size of full moons and his hairs stood. he gasped in complete shock.

from: 'hisoka'
subject: 

the dead bodies were fake⭐-_-💧

"kurapika?"

"...the dead bodies were fakes..."

"huh? you mean the dead bodies of the troupe members?"

"yeah, the dead spiders were fakes! it would be possible for a conjurer to accomplish that... damn! why didn't i realise this sooner?" kurapika exclaimed, eyes wavering.

"the situation's changed. what now?" killua asked, eyes narrowing on the flustered male. "we're here to help."

gon, leorio and [name] nodded in agreement. all eyes were on kurapika. they were all determined to help him. kurapika's cellphone began to ring again. kurapika put his phone to his ear as it was a call.

gon, killua, leorio and [name] stared intently. kurapika seemed shocked, but not nearly as shocked when he had found out the bodies of the phantom troupe were fakes.

"the reward has been rescinded?"

"seriously?" killua whispered, turning to look at gon with worried eyes.

"the troupe come from meteor city," kurapika stated, making leorio hum and scratch his chin.

"makes sense... that explains why their identities are still unknown, and why the cops haven't been able to catch them."

"what's meteor city?" gon asked.

"a city populated by people who, as far as society is concerned, don't exist."

"there's a city like that?"

leorio then proceeded to explain further into the city - how it's officially unpopulated, but has been said that ten million people reside in the city and how it began as a dump 1,500 years ago where you could dispose of anything and everything, from weapons to people. the residences of the unofficial city would accept anything they were offered and how meteor city residents share a bond thinner than strangers, stronger than that between family.

"actually, there are those who provide meteor city with weapons and precious metals under the pretext of garbage. that would be the mafia community," kurapika stated, shocking the two younger males.

"what do you mean? but the mafia is hunting the troupe!"

"in return, the mafia recruited people from meteor city."

"people who don't exist, as far as society was concerned. perfect for committing crimes. the troupe destroyed the normally intimate relationship between the mafia and meteor city. but the mafia has decided to prioritise that relationship."

everyone was quiet. [name] turned to look out of the hotel room window. it was dark outside due to thick storm clouds which rained down on the city. the image of the phantom troupe leader flashed in her mind. her lips stretched.

i'll see you soon, chrollo...

~

lowkey cringey and there's too much talking but anyways, sorry it took long again. i think i'm going to take another short break to complete watching the phantom arc so i get an idea of what the MC is going to do. bye ❤