t w e n t y . n i n e

the sound of soft footsteps seemingly echoed in the dead silent forest. not even the chirping or flapping of the wings from birds were heard. it was simply [name] and the forest, though she didn't mind.

[name] paused for a moment to close her eyes and breathe. she lifted her head and stared up at the vast, blue sky that stretched above her. she sighed, disappointed at her lack of company.

i wonder how everyone is doing..?

as the thought came to mind, an object in the air flew past across her vision high in the sky. she blinked, looking around her to find the source and for any threats.

"you still have three days. good luck finding them! see ya," a familar, high-pitched voice said from deeper into the forest.

[name] perked up at recognition.

killua!

the female excitedly headed towards the direction in which she had heard his voice, but made sure to tread carefully. she swerved around trees and hopped over the larger roots from trees that escaped onto the surface of the earth. when she saw the comforting locks of white hair, she hid.

killua pleasantly hummed and whistled whilst strutting past the tree she hid behind. nothing seemed to be wrong with him. [name] grinned, jumping out from behind the tree and scaring the boy.

"boo!"

killua noticeably flinched, eyes round with hostility and predatory eyes, but when his eyes met to identify the girl, they softened. his eyes softened, but his face scrunched as he pouted.

"don't scare me like that. i thought you were an actual dangerous person like hisoka or something," he scolded, making [name] smile and frolic towards him gleefully. "how come i didn't notice you were there?"

[name]'s smile faded for a millisecond, unseen by the boy before it was replaced with the same smile, but slightly forced.

"i'm good at hiding! i used to play hide and seek a lot when i was younger. i would say i'm pretty good at seeking too! especially since i found everyone who was hiding from me," [name] proudly announced, head lifting as she huffed with pride. "they always screamed because i snuck up from behind them."

killua hummed in amusement as he observed the pride in [name]'s statements. he brushed the subject off as he turned on his heel and began to walk away. [name] stood still for a moment before killua paused and looked over his shoulder, cheeks a slight pink as he motioned for her to follow.

"come on. i'll help you find your target," he mumbled, cheeks flushing by the second in embarrassment.

[name] smiled as she waddled towards him to hold his hand. this made him jump. his mouth opened and closed, but no words came out.

"have you gotten yours, killua?"

"i-i.. uh, um.. you-i, hand, um... yeah!"

"hmm, i already got mine too.. let's just go find the others!"

"o-okay..."

~

finally, seven days had passed, and the hunter applicants gathered at the front of the island where they had entered. killua and [name] stood beside one another, nervously looking at who was left.

gon, kurapika, leorio... where are you?

noticing the figeting and anxiety painted on [name]'s face, killua gently pat her back. when [name] turned to face him, he swivelled his head to look away. [name] smiled, acknowledging his questionable show of affection.

then, the boat they had left to enter the island, appeared. khara - the guide - stepped foot onto the island using the same wooden plank as a weeks time previous.

"then we will now check the tags of everyone here!" she cheerfully exclaimed.

[name] fought back the urge to turn around and try look for her other companions.

"#44, hisoka-san. #99, killua-san. #406, [name]-san." khara began to list, making sure everyone showed their 6 points in ID tags. " #301, gittarackur-san. #191, bodoro-san. #294, hanzo-san. so, six applicants passed..? oh!"

the hunter applicants turned to face where khara was with a pleasantly surprised expression. there emerging from the forest was gon, kurapika and leorio.

"you guys..!"

"ah, three more arrive at the last second!"

killua and [name] look up at the three with smiles, exchanging thumbs-ups and grins.

"and now for the last few members. #404, kurapika-san. #403, leorio-san and #405, gon-san. these nine applicants have passed the fourth phase of the exam!!"

~

[name], gon, kurapika and leorio stood in a line by the windows of the airship either sentimentally looking out of the windows and at the clouds or looking down at the ground. silence dampened the atmosphere before leorio cut through it.

"pathetic..."

this caught the attention of the rest, who turned to look at the male.

"i needed the two of you - kurapika and gon - to do everything for me during the fourth phase. i promise i'll return the favour," leorio muttered, cheeks burning in embarrassment for what he was about to say. "so... thanks..."

the three smiled at leorio's flustered behaviour. suddenly, a voice introduced itself through the speakers installed in the airship.

"i have an announcement for all applicants. the chairman wishes to interview the remaining candidates," the four looked at one another. "when your number is called, please come to the first reception room on the second floor. then, we will start with #44, hisoka-sama."

~

"have a seat," the president offered, making [name] nod sheepishly and approach the cushion near the table that seperated the two. "i'll be asking a few questions i'd like you to answer."

"of course. what may they be?"

"first, why do you want to become a hunter?"

this was not a surprising question, but [name] flinched and fidgeted nervously nonetheless. she diverted her gaze to the table, examining the fine details of the wood and the dust that sprinkled the table here and there.

"i.. i wanted to become a hunter to, you could say, 'prove' myself to my father who thinks i am uncapable due to.. issues. well, i did also apply for the benefits such as being granted access to places limited to normal people. having such access would benefit me through my occupation."

"hm, i see.. alright, moving onto the next question! which of the other eight applicants are you keeping an eye on?"

"keeping an eye on? i guess #99 for positive reasons. negatively? most likely #44. he definitely isn't the best out there..." [name] mumbled towards the end, shivering at the thought of hisoka getting his hands on her.

netero nodded.

"one last question. which of the eight other applicants would you least like to fight?"

"i guess i would fight if it was necessary, but the people i would most likely never want to fight is #405 and #99. though capable and incredibly promising, i would not be able to bring myself to fight them seriously. they are only children. not that i look down on them," [name] explained, making netero chuckle pleasantly.

"good job. that is all for now."

~

rip pokkle he got replaced by the MC. i'm excited because i might be writing cool fight scenes. don't expect them to be good though lolol

we're finally nearing the end of the hunter exam after about thirty chapters~~