f o r t y . t w o

"it's me. how's it going?" dalzellene - head bodyguard of the nostrade family - asked from the other side of the phone as kurapika and his partner for the mission carefully inspected the crowded area below them.

"nothing unusual," the partner informed.

"no visible changes from the outside... understood. we'll notify you if anything happens," kurapika stated, pulling the phone away from his ear to disconnect the call until he heard the man's voice from the speakers of the phone. "sir?"

"one more thing, kurapika. you'll have another bodyguard accompany you shortly. they were not able to join us the last few days due to travel and personal issues. you shouldn't have any trouble with them as they are trusted by the boss and are experienced in the area. just try not to start any arguments with them."

with that, the phone call concluded and dalzellene was disconnected from the call. kurapika stared at the phone for a few more moments in confusion and curiosity, but hastily returned to work.

"they're being quite thorough; only mafia security are allowed within five hundred metres of the auction house," kurapika's partner spoke, removing their binoculars from their eyes and resting.

"if they didn't do that, the surroundings would be crawling with thugs. they're practically announcing that unwholesome practices are going on," kurapika responded, making his partner quietly agree.

kurapika stared at the auction house below them. it was swarmed with black cars, men in black suits who motioned in different directions and possessed firm, demanding voices. the wind gently blew to make his soft, blonde locks sway. his expression was straight, but held melancholy.

will the phantom troupe really show up..? he thought, making his partner move their attention to him.

"that's the same sound i heard that one time," the partner claimed, catching the male's attention. "you see, i happened to see you leaving the hunter agency.. when you walked past me, your heart was playing a melody of rage.. may i ask you one question?"

"yes."

".. scarlet eyes," they started, making kurapika flinch and widen his eyes a fraction. "what exactly do they mean to you?"

"..why do you ask?"

"no real reason. curiosity?" they stated, turning their head to once more stare at the night view of the busy city of yorknew. "when you saw the image on the data card, your heartbeat was even more fearsome. it played a melody of boundless fury.."

"i suppose that i can't lie. i am a kurta; our eyes are normally brown, but they are red when we are excited. so i wear black contacts to avoid discovery. i am searching for the eyes taken from my brethren. i will do whatever it takes to return their eyes to them," kurapika explained, turning to look at his partner and turning back around. "will you report this to dalzellene?"

"i will not. i do not wish to be killed.."

"you could read my intentions?"

"a heartbeat is always honest. when you began to confess your true nature to me, your heartbeat was calm but frigid; the heartbeat of one prepared to kill. your heart said that, though you would hold no grudge, i was fair game if i talked."

"why did you take this job?"

"why do you ask? i'll probably lie."

kurapika smiled as he turned to face his partner.

"i'll know if you're lying by your eyes."

the partner took a moment to think about it before beginning to explain their background and purpose for applying as a bodyguard; they are a hunter in search of a certain musical score called the dark sonata, a piece believed to bring disaster upon anyone who listens or plays to any of the four versions.

"isn't that just a myth? i doubt something like that could exist in reality," kurapika claimed, making his partner turn to him fully and expose their right arm, which was so severely damaged that even people who have witnessed worst of the worst would feel ill at the sight.

they continued to explain more on how they would like to return to how they used to and how they would like nothing more than to save others from the curse. midway, the partner's eyes darted to their right. kurapika quickly caught on, readying his weapons and eyes narrowing to the area.

"i'm fairly impressed you managed to notice my presence so quickly," the newcomer whispered softly, stepping into the light to reveal themselves.

"unlike your breathing and sound of your footsteps, your heartbeat will continue and never cease to make sound," kurapika's partner spoke. "you are very experienced. if it were not for your heartbeat - which was already quiet in itself - i would not have noticed you were here.."

kurapika's eyes widened and his body unconsciously relaxed at recognition.

"[name]..?"

the stranger smiled and clapped their hands together.

"correct! it's been a while, kurapika."

[name] stepped forward closer to kurapika, who froze at the sudden movement. she slung her arms over kurapika's shoulder and around his neck to give him a gentle hug. she chuckled softly at kurapika's tense body which slowly relaxed at her touch. she pulled away and turned to face kurapika's partner, who was a short, balding silver haired woman with protruding front two teeth.

"hello, my name is [name] and i'll be accompanying you two from now on. please take care of me," [name] firmly spoke, bowing and sending a polite smile.

"nice to meet you, [name]-san. my name is melody. are you two acquaintances?"

"yes, we met at the hunter exam held this year and please, you need not add such honorifics to my name!"

"only if you insist," melody whispered, turning her head to view the auction house. "it's time. the underworld auction is about to start.."

~

the many leaders of the underground gathered in the auction area, awaiting the arrival of the host and the commencing of the auction. suddenly, a small black haired male and a much larger man with scars and stitches over his face and long earlobes take the microphone.

"okay.. welcome, everyone," the smaller male spoke, catching the attention of the crowd. "so, i'll be skipping the formalities.."

and with that, the large man behind him lifted his arms for the tips of his fingers to pop off - connected to the rest of his fingers through small chains. the people in the crowd gasped. the large man's face darkened as he began to speak.

"die."
~
not me writing nearly a whole chapter then deleting it all to write something different 😭💀