f o r t y . f o u r

as one of the last members of the four shadow beasts who had come to the defeat the killer, the last remaining shadow beast trembled and stiffened. the shadow beast was able to manipulate his hair to create porcupine-like needles or create soft, springy curls. as of current, he had used his needle-like hair to attach himself to his target.

the target was a member of the phantom troupe and had killed the now-deceased shadow beast named rabid dog by exhaling a piece of one of the shadow beast's skull hard enough to project it to the shadow beast, in through rabid dog's forehead and out of the back of rabid dog's head.

now porcupine - the remaining shadow beast out of the four - anticipated the similar projectile attack from the phantom troupe member.

he's going to do the same to me? but it won't work.. my body hair will repel any projectile, yup.

[name]'s eyes widened as she slapped her hands to her ears the second she realised what was about to occur.

"cover your ears!!"

with that, the phantom troupe member - instead of projecting another piece of skull - screamed at the top of his lungs at the shadow beast. his voice spread outwards like a swarm of bees and made the surrounding witnesses shrink in pain. porcupine was frozen. he was motionless as he stared at the phantom troupe member. then, blood spewed out from his ears as his body fell backwards and his hair softened and returned to normal. the man wrapped his hand around the hair and pulled to close some distance in between the two.

"you can't repel sound projectiles, can you? oh, you can't hear me anymore?" the muscular man teasingly asked before throwing the shadow beast.

"he used sound to defeat a shadow beast.."

"they're all crazy..!"

as the phantom troupe members from above argued with the phantom troupe member below, kurapika through his binoculars and began to walk forwards towards the area of destruction.

"wait, kurapika! what are you doing?" dalzollene asked.

"shouldn't that be obvious? i'm going to capture him," kurapika calmly responded earning shocked responses back.

"that's impossible! you saw what he's capable of! you're going to get yourself killed!"

"kurapika!"

"i really don't care," kurapika stated, turning around to reveal his bright, crimson eyes.

the rest of the bodyguards gasped and froze at the sight. from the male was rage that could not be contained. he was going to get himself killed at this stage. [name] sighed, stomping up the to male and grabbing his arm.

"kurapika, calm down first and-"

suddenly, kurapika turned around and did the same to the female. he aggressively took a hold of [name]'s arm and furiously glared at the girl. he was blinded by rage. even the closest people were blurred and unable to be identified by the fury in his heart. [name] did not react. she stared at the male without fear until the crimson in his eyes grew weak and dulled down to normal.

then, the thin, soothing sound of a flute was heard from behind her. the place seemed to bloom with beautiful flowers of all kinds and wind blew gently. [name] could feel kurapika's hold weaken and his body relax slightly, and so did hers.

when the flute ceased to play its lullaby, the world returned to normal. all heads turned to melody, who held a flute by her mouth and smiled sweetly.

"wild flower. the perfect song to relax you. has everyone calmed down? let's cool our heads, and devise a plan together."

kurapika completely let go of [name]'s arm and stared sadly into [name]'s eyes. he frowned, looking down at his hand that grabbed [name]'s arm so violently.

"i.. apologise for my actions, just now. i was very excited," kurapika apologised, looking back up to meet eyes with the female. "did i harm you much?"

[name] smiled at the sudden change in behaviour. this is the kurapika she knew, whether it was a façade or his true self. she shook her head and took a ever-so gentle hold of the blonde's hand.

"come on. let's at least think of a plan first, kurapika," she whispered softly, as if convincing a lost child to go and find their caregivers. "thank you, melody."

"yes. thank you, melody. i've cooled down," kurapika thanked, making melody wink at the two. "however, i still must capture them."

kurapika shifted his attention to look at dalzollene, the head and leader.

"leader, i can make this happen."

"what?"

kurapika headed towards dalzollene to stare at him with full seriousness and dedication. his eyes were unwavering and determined.

"let me go."

"after witnessing that incredible show of strength, you still believe you can defeat him?" dalzollene calmly asked, staring down the blonde.

"of course."

the head bodyguard took a moment to look at the male's eyes.

"i understand."

kurapika nodded before turning his head to the rest of his fellow co-workers. he ordered they bring the car so they could leave at moment's notice and without unnecessary time wasted. with that, he began to approach the cause of destruction.

few of the bodyguards left to retrieve the car whilst others remained and stared in awe and anxiety at kurapika's confidence and boldness. [name] began to walk forwards after kurapika, though she was only intending to watch.

"shizuku! would you suck the poison and leeches from my body? your vacuum'll do the trick," the phantom troupe member on the ground asked as a black haired woman with square-shaped glasses picked herself up and began to speak.

"blinky can suck out the poison, but nothing alive."

"what? then what am i supposed to do?"

another member of the phantom troupe jumped down to land next to the paralysed member on the ground. he had short, blonde hair and purple-pink coloured clothing with hints of green.

"let me see," he spoke, taking a leech from the wound the leeches were inserted into. "this is a spotted leech. it takes one day to migrate to the bladder, before laying eggs and dying."

"so?"

"the eggs will hatch shortly after, exiting through your urinary tract. it will cause enough pain to kill you," the blonde stated bluntly, making the other male nervous.

"hey, don't joke around.."

"however, they require a specific ammonia level to hatch. if there isn't enough, the eggs don't hatch and they can be excreted harmlessly. so, until this time tomorrow, you should drink beer non-stop, and be sure to urinate frequently!"

"don't scare me like that.. shizuku! can you take care of the poison?"

"okay!"

"someone go to the city and get lots of beer," the blonde said, making a male with long earlobes and scars over their face speak.

"i'll go."

"make sure they're ice-cold!" the member on the floor yelled.

"don't get too greedy!"

shizuku, the black haired woman with the glasses, activated her nen to reveal a vacuum that held a grinning mouth at the intake window. as she ordered the nen item to suck the poison out of her fellow phantom troupe member, the man on the floor was suddenly enwrapped in chains. then, the chains began to pull backwards and lift the man off of the floor and into the air. his screams echoed in the empty desert as his figure disappeared into the pitch black sky.