t w e n t y . o n e

"damn you, majitani.. you were completely worthless. his facial scars were from a botched plastic surgery operation. that's one hell of a fraud," the man mumbled, glaring maliciously at the unconscious prisoner. "hey. you understand, right? after two losses, our backs are against the wall."

the smaller, cloaked figure confidently remarked, stepping forward.

"okay! i'll finish up the job! toss that guy out and send in your next competitor!" leorio yelled as he stomped forward with confidence.

[name] chuckled at his impatience. she turned on her heel and took a seat on the wall opposite kurapika. she met eyes with the boy, who gazed affectionately. 

the longer she stared at his pale face, the more she noticed the faint traces of dark circles under his eyes. [name] froze momentarily, somehow attempting to search within kurapika's passionate eyes for an answer. an answer she didn't have a question to.

"hey! kurapika!" leorio called out, making [name] jump in her skin and rip her gaze off of kurapika and up at the towering figure to her left. "go finish off that worthless trash."

kurapika closed his eyes.

"i refuse."

"huh..? why?!"

"the fight is over.. he'd already lost the will to fight when i punched him," the male explained, looking down at his hands at the memory. "i will not fight someone who's lost.."

"screw that! then what do we do?! they're claiming that the match hasn't ended!" the tall male screamed, earning a nonchalant response.

"let him handle it. once he wakes up, we'll have our answer."

"hey, now.. we only have so much time left. we can't afford to just sit and wait!-"

"i have no intention of killing him!"

"you..!"

"hey.."

eyes turned to stare at killua, who stepped forward to intervene their arguing.

"if you don't want to dirty your hands, i'll do it," he claimed, looking down at the blonde. "you haven't killed anyone before, right?"

kurapika remained silent.

"are you scared?"

".. i never considered whether murder is frightening or not.. but this is a one-on-one battle. you aren't permitted to interfere," kurapika announced, making killua roll his shoulders back and huff.

"okay, then... but we're working as a team, so you shouldn't be too selfish!" killua stated.

"oh! you do say useful things sometimes! keep it up! don't you understand that you're screwing up our chances?"

"i'm sorry, but i won't change my mind.."

leorio got down on his knees and grinded his forehead onto kurapika's.

"you stubborn fool! you..! fine! suit yourself!" he yelled, stomping away and dropping to the floor, sulking at the entry.

the male began to mumble incoherently.

"he's sulking..?" [name] whispered, zipping and biting down on her lips to avoid smiling.

"just leave him alone for now," killua said, turning around and walking away from the group, gon following close behind.

[name] hummed, bringing her knees closer to her chest and hugging them. she buried her head onto them and sighed.

it's going to be so boring.. i don't have anything to play with and i don't feel like sleeping yet, though i haven't slept all day.. perhaps after the trial?

[name]'s gaze fell to her hands, where rings adorned her fingers and a bracelet swung from her wrist. she pouted, lifting them above her head and staring as the metal and small gems on the accessories twinkled.

what a nuisance they are.. i don't need so many accessories.. though i may need it if i run into someone like hisoka. ugh, for someone so good-looking he really is a creep...

~

the five silently waited, the majority resting with closed eyes. [name] moved around in her spot in the corner, the hard concrete walls scratching at her uncomfortably. she nodded off, eyes darting around in attempt to keep her awake.

"that man.. could already be dead," killua's voice echoed out of the blue, catching the attention of the rest.

leorio picked himself up from his seat on the floor, where he pointed at the unconscious prisoner and demanded to confirm the prisoner's state.

"i already told you, he's only unconscious," a feminine voice responded, irritating the male.

"how many hours has it been? i can't just take your word for it!" leorio screamed back, making the prisoner smirk.

"then let's make a bet."

"a bet? on what?"

"on whether he's dead or alive."

"what would we wager?" leorio asked, dubious of the sudden suggestion.

"time," they stated, taking aback the hunter applicants. "we will settle our match through a betting game, a gamble. and we'll use our time, rather than chips. look at the monitor on the wall. we each have fifty hours. however, we can only wager multiples of ten. we continue placing bets until one of us has no hours left."

[name] felt herself nodding off again.

crap, i think i'm going to pass out. i'm exhausted.. of course as soon as the game starts again, i feel like passing out.. oh well, what could happen? i'm sure leorio'll do fine, he seems like he could do things as long as his mind is set to it, the female thought in a composed manner, resting her head against the bars which prevented the five from escaping.

her body felt heavy. she felt herself sink into the corner she rested in, and her eyelids fall. as the voices of her companions were slowly silencing, she sighed, falling into her long-awaited slumber.

~

wow... i actually posted a chapter for this story... it feels weird. i actually wrote half this chapter when i kind of hiatus-ed and i just finished writing the other half.

i have been so lazy with this book, and i apologise for everyone who has been waiting. i wonder how long it's been. two months? more? i don't know, but thank you for your patience and unfortunately, you might need more, because my commitment levels are fairly low for this book, lol. anyways, thank you, and i'll try to update now, since it's the holidays, no school work, and my other book doesn't have anymore requests!