f i f t y . f i v e

leorio and [name] sat cross-legged beside each other in the lobby of the hotel, awaiting their companions' arrival. leorio's eyes moved downwards to look down at the female that sat beside him. she stared straight ahead with a firm expression, but her eyes shined with emotions he couldn't pin-point.

"say, [name]," leorio suddenly spoke, making [name] turn her head to face him and hum in response. "what do you plan on doing after helping kurapika? everyone here has some sort of goal, but i don't think i've heard you say anything you want - something you want for yourself."

[name]'s expression became dark at the question and his statement. she bit the inside of her cheek gently.

something i want for myself? she thought, eyes shaking in realisation. i don't.. i can't.. do i not have anything i want..?

[name]'s eyes wandered as if she were trying to find an answer. she was in shock at the lack of desire she had. all her life, she had only been following orders and doing what others wanted from her. not once had she thought of herself, and she had only realised now..

leorio stared down at the girl who was clearly in a state of shock. his mouth opened and closed. his lips zipped into a straight line as he lifted his arm to put it onto her head. he looked away and began to speak.

"it's alright. not everyone knows what they want. it'll come to you eventually," he whispered, his words of comfort making [name]'s tense shoulders relax. "for now, don't think too hard on it. sometimes it's better to let life do the work."

the girl looked down, leorio's hands still on her head. this one action had immediately calmed her down. it was so simple, but managed to do works of wonder to the unstable girl. it was what people she looked up to like her parents did to her when they were proud of her. it filled her body with an indescribable warmth.

when the two heard footsteps, their heads lifted and they met eyes with kurapika.

"k-kurapika! how'd it go?" leorio asked as he stood up from his seat with a flustered expression.

"i couldn't get a straight answer. the community didn't have any updates regarding the auction today," kurapika replied, approaching the two.

"you should tell them that the troupe is still alive!" leorio exclaimed, hands closing into fists. "then the mafia might rethink it."

"no, nothing will change. the community values its relationship with meteor city. it's safe to assume that they will not attack the troupe further," kurapika explained, making leorio frown. "but that wasn't the information i wanted. my only concern is whether the auction will proceed as scheduled."

"you're not planning to intercept them, are you?" leorio asked, kurapika only replying with silence. "that's crazy. how can you confront them without mafia support?"

"you have it wrong, leorio. i never had help from the mafia to begin with."

"kurapika, let us help!" a familiar, high-pitched voice asked from behind them. "we're willing to do anything."

it was gon. killua stood straight beside him, silent.

turn him down... killua pleaded internally, eyes moving to kurapika.

"the reward was rescinded."

"i know. i want to stop the phantom troupe. that hasn't changed," gon firmly stated, eyebrows furrowed as he stared determined at the blonde male.

turn him down... killua continued to plead. turn him down..!

"you'd be risking your lives."

come on, that's what he wants to hear!

kurapika and gon stared into each other's eyes until kurapika finally revealed his answer in whether he would accept gon's help or not.

"okay, let's put together a plan."

"uh-huh."

he agreed?!

~

the five sat together in the same seats leorio and [name] sat previously. gon, killua and [name] sat in one and leorio and kurapika the other. they began to discuss their plan on capturing the memory-viewing troupe member, pakunoda.

"first, we'll need someone to watch their base, and to provide updates."

killua lifted his hand to volunteer as the spy as he was experienced in the area. kurapika nodded, explaining the target was a woman named pakunoda and that he could ignore everyone else.

"be very careful.."

"don't worry, i won't push my luck."

"i'll need a driver to accompany me. leorio could you handle that?" kurapika asked, turning to look at a nervous leorio.

"huh? y-yeah..."

"it'll be fine. you'll be safe if you're with kurapika," killua reassured.

"hey, killua.. don't make it sound like i was scared or something!"

[name]'s head was low as she stared down at her hands. her heartrate picked up and it felt as though her heart was pounding against her chest. she swallowed hard.

i need to tell them.. sooner or later they're going to found out and i might as well tell them before they do... [name] thought, eyes moving up to look at leorio and kurapika. i wonder if kurapika will despise me after finding out...

"if gon doesn't want to, i'm sure [name] could," killua suddenly spoke, making the rest of the males stare at him in confusion. "you see, when gon, [name] and i got captured by the troupe we discovered something about [name]... she-"

"she's really strong and she's known nen for a long time!" gon abruptly screamed. "she even made herself forget about kurapika using nen so they wouldn't know!"

[name]'s eyes widened. gon was protecting her. the boy turned to look at the girl with a toothy grin and creased eyes. [name]'s mouth opened and closed. killua argued with the boy for a moment before going quiet when realising what he was doing.

"is this true, [name]?"

the girl turned to look at kurapika, who had asked for confirmation. she, without a word, nodded. he began to scratch his chin in thought about how to utilise her knowledge and experience. she moved her attention back to gon, who stared at her with his big, glistening eyes.

"thank you, gon. you really are a sweet boy, but it's alright. he deserves to know," she whispered, eyes moving to look at kurapika. "kurapika, leorio. i need to tell you something which may greatly affect your views on me and whether you want me to stay."

"what do you mean, [name]?" leorio inquired, eyebrows furrowing.

"i'll still help externally if you decide you do not want my assistance. the decision is up to you, kurapika, and i don't mind so don't feel bad," [name] whispered, sending a sad smile in kurapika's direction, where the male stared in confusion. "killua and gon already know, though not in detail. i... used to be a member of the phantom troupe."