Forgive me Pt. 2

Here's part 2, requested by @Rose_Gold02

HORACE WATCHED NUMBLY AS his friend rocked back and forth in the snow, his eyes glazed over, incoherent mumbling streaming from his mouth.

It was all wrong. This wasn't right. Yes, he'd expected something to happen to Will, they'd been taken to Skandia, after all. But whatever this drug—warmweed—was, it hadn't been the first thing on Horace's mind.

He turned away and walked ahead; he didn't want to see Will any longer. He didn't want to see the broken form of his friend. Why'd you have to leave them? he asked himself. Maybe if he'd stayed, if he'd been captured alongside them, this could have been prevented.

"Horace..." Evanlyn's hand was on his shoulder, but he didn't bother to acknowledge her. "Don't blame yourself."

Horace turned to her, staring at her. "Who captured you?" he asked in a hard tone.

The girl paused. "Erak did. We were given to Borsa, and it was him who assigned Will to the yard. Erak helped us escape, Horace."

"He should have done that long before you reached Skandia," he muttered, balling his hands into fists.

"Where else?" Evanlyn crossed her arms. "Into the plateau, where Morgarath and his Wargals were? Or out onto the sea, where we could have drowned?"

Horace shook his head angrily. "I don't know!"

Evanlyn sighed, and withdrew her hand. "He'll get better, Horace. We'll all make sure of it."

"Where were you headed?" They both looked over as Halt spoke, cradling the broken apprentice in his arms.

"To a cabin somewhere up here." Evanlyn waved her hand in a vague direction. She repeated the instructions that had been given to her, and Halt nodded.

"Will shouldn't be traveling much at all." The grizzled Ranger settled his apprentice on Tug, who whinnied and tossed his head, concerned for his master. "We'll get to the cabin and stay until...until Will gets better."

Horace nodded, still staring at the hunched-over form. Halt had paused. Did that mean there was a chance, however small it might be, that Will might not get better? He sighed, tearing his gaze away.

He realized that Evanlyn had never told him who had given Will the warmweed. He also realized that if he ever found the perpetrator, he'd make sure they would pay for their deed.