Why Do You Have A Kid?

So this is from a prompt that I got from im-a-ramblr from Tumblr. Hope you enjoy it!
~~~

THE DOOR OPENED ABRUPLTY and a hooded-figure strode into the room. Arald looked up in surprise; he hadn't been expecting anyone this late.

"Halt!" he said, rising from his seat. "What are you doing–?" He froze as he saw the little bundle in Halt's arms. The older Ranger stared at him, as if trying to communicate silently.

After a moment, the bundle moved, and deep brown eyes peeked out at Arald. He watched as the child made a cooing sound, wriggling around. "Hush now, Will." Halt looked down at the infant and spoke in a gentle tone. "It's alright, you're safe now. It's alright."

Arald blinked, watching the legendary and formidable Ranger calm a baby. After a moment, he put a hand to his forehead. "Oh, this is bad, this is very bad." He looked back at Halt and threw his hands in the air. "You...you have a kid. Since when did you even have a kid? Who did you have a kid with?"

The Ranger glared at him. "He's not my kid, Arald."

"Then what? You kidnapped a kid?" Arald exclaimed. "What on earth were you thinking? And why?"

Halt sighed. "No, I didn't kidnap a kid. He was give to me."

"What? Who in their right mind would give you a kid?"

"Arald, would you calm down for a minute?" Arald only shook his head in reply, slumping back down in his seat.

"Fine. Can you explain to me why you have a kid?"

Halt rolled his eyes. "His parents are dead, Arald. His father saved me from the Wargals, and he wanted me to help his wife and child. Two other men had gone to her house and stole from her. I tried to stop them, but they almost overpowered me. His mother saved me, but she didn't make it."

Arald listened, relieved that Halt hadn't just stolen a child. He looked down at the boy again, who gave him a cheeky smile.

"Will's his name, you say?" he asked. "Who were his parents?"

Halt shook his head. "Daniel was the name of the father. They had just moved to Aspienne fief. There wasn't much I could learn. Will's got nowhere else to stay, Arald. I brought him to you because of your Ward. Can you take him?"

Arald leaned back in his seat, twiddling his thumbs. The Ward was a new addition to Redmont fief. He had taken it upon himself to open a home for children whose parents had died in the war. Already, there was another boy, named Horace Altman, and a girl, Alyss Mainwaring.

"He has no other family?" Arald asked at last. Halt shook his head. "Then there's no reason for me to say no." He stood up. Halt rose, as well, gently handing the small bundle to Arald. The Baron took the child, and he couldn't help but smile at those brown eyes.

He looked up to see Halt staring at the child with a strange expression. "I suppose I should go," the Ranger said, his voice almost husky. Arald raised an eyebrow as Halt turned around and left the room without a sound.

Well, Arald thought in surprise, staring at the place where Halt had just been standing. "This was not how I expected my night to go."