The New Apprentice

A/N: Thought it would be interesting to see Gilan's ambush in Will's first year through his point of view.

EXULTANCE ROSE WITHIN HIM as he saw the figure crouched on the ground, unaware of what was around him. This year, Gilan thought. This year, I'll have him.

"Halt, Halt!" he called, a grin spreading across his face. The grizzled Ranger rose to his feet, brushing off the dirt from his close. He tilted his head in question as he turned.

"Well, Gilan," Halt said. "I see you're still making that old joke."

Gilan smiled. I got him. I actually got him, after so many years! "The joke appears to be on you this year, Halt," he replied. The older Ranger raised an eyebrow in that familiar gesture.

"Really, Gilan? And what joke would that be, I wonder?"

Gilan chuckled, not even bothering to hide the smug smile on his face. "Come now, Halt," he said, leaning against his bow. "Admit it. For once, I've got the best of you—and you know how many years I've been trying."

Halt stroked his beard, an eyebrow still raised. "It beats me why you keep on trying, Gilan, as a matter of fact."

Gilan laughed. Oh, come on. You just don't want to admit I bested you. "You should know how much pleasure it gives an ex-apprentice to get the better of his master, Halt. Now, come on. Admit it. This year, I've won."

His former mentor continued to eye him with a quizzical, half-amused look. Gilan shifted his weight onto one foot, the sense of triumph fading as Halt said nothing. Sure, the older Ranger was rarely frazzled...but some sixth sense told him that there was something he was missing. Something he should have remembered.

"Ah, yes." Halt smiled at him, and Gilan swallowed; what had he missed? "Apprentices and masters. They're a strange combination, all right. But tell me, Gilan, my old apprentice, aren't you forgetting something this year?"

Gilan's eyes widened at the emphasis. Blast it! The apprentice! He began to turn, and a quick hiss flew past him. Gilan flinched as the arrow passed him, coming to a quivering stop at a tree ahead.

Turning quickly, he became aware of a small figure hidden in the trees, the familiar gray and green cloak wrapped around him. "Come down, Will," Halt called beside him. "And meet Gilan, one of our more careless Rangers." Gilan looked over as the Ranger turned to him. "I told you when you were a boy, didn't I? Never be too hasty. Don't rush into things."

Gilan nodded, his smugness well and truly crushed. He'd heard the phrase all too often, and yet once more, it seemed he still hadn't learned the lesson.

The branches rustled, and the figure dropped from the tree, landing lightly on the ground. Gilan pursed his lips; the new apprentice, Will, was young, around fifteen, and rather small. Maybe that'll teach me something. He thought about it a moment later and gave a mental shrug. Most likely not.

"It appears," he said, "that I was so intent on catching myself an old gray fox that I overlooked the small monkey hiding in the trees." He shook his head and grinned.

"Monkey, is it?" His grin widened at the slightly defensive tone in Halt's voice. So he's rather fond of this one, I see. "I'd say he's made a monkey out of you, today. Will, this is Gilan, my former apprentice and now Ranger of Meric Fief—although what they did to deserve him is beyond me."

Gilan chuckled, and turned to the apprentice, holding out a hand. "And just as I was thinking I'd finally got the better of you, Halt," he tossed over his shoulder as he shook the boy's hand. "So, you're Will. I'm pleased to meet you. That was a neat piece of work, young fellow."

He was short, that was the first thing that Gilan noticed; then again, so were most of the Rangers. Tousled brown hair stuck up in odd angles from the hood, and his brown eyes were alight with a curious look; perhaps even a hint of mischievousness in there, as well.

The young apprentice grinned in reply. "Yes, I'm Will," he said. "Could you perhaps teach me how you move like that? It was brilliant."

Gilan laughed. Well, he doesn't gloat. That's a good thing. "Not too brilliant, I think," he said ruefully. "You obviously saw me coming from a long way around."

Will shook his head. "I saw you when you arrived. And I saw where you'd been. But I never once saw you from the time you rounded that bend. I wish I could move like that."

Gilan smiled, surprised and pleased with the obvious honesty shining from the boy's eyes. "Well, Halt," he said. "I see this young fellow doesn't merely have talent. He has excellent manners as well."

The boy flushed at the compliment, and Gilan hid another grin. He'd been around Halt long enough to know that praise wasn't given often. He shot a discreet look towards the older Ranger, noting with some surprise the obvious approval within Halt's face.

Well, now. This ought to be interesting, he thought.