Crossroads

It was funny, Halt thought. No matter how much he'd tried to run from the truth, it had come back to him anyways. Like an annoying fly that wouldn't leave.

"I never wanted to come back," he said softly. Beside him, Will was watching him. "I thought I'd never see this place again."

"Horace and I can take care of this if you want."

He smiled, a cold and bitter smile. "And leave the two of you to deal with my problems? What kind of person would I be to do that?"

"The person that deserves at least that." The younger Ranger laid a hand on his shoulder. "We'd understand, you know. You've done more for me than anyone else, Halt. One mission won't hurt."

Halt looked at Will. Those eyes were as earnest as ever, unfailingly loyal and empathetic. How far would he have gotten without this boy? Would he have even made it to this day? He didn't know the answer.

"Halt?"

He shook his head. "No, Will. I won't back down simply because of a little discomfort. You should know me better than that."

"Sadly, I do." The other Ranger smirked.

"I'd watch that mouth of yours," Halt said lightly. "Wouldn't want your honey to suddenly disappear."

"You wouldn't."

"Oh, I would." The two stood there in silence for some time, and then Halt sighed, swinging himself back up in the saddle.

"Right, then," he said. "What are we waiting for?"