Gone

THE SUN WAS SHINING, and all the clouds had disappeared. Had it been any other day, the little town of Wensley Village would have been lively and bright.

It was funny, Will thought with a twist of grim amusement. It was such a beautiful day, and yet such a lonely one at the same time. As he stared down at the mound of dirt, he couldn't help but remember chasing down the Genovesans, and how he, Malcolm, and Horace had had to fake the old Ranger's death.

This was no fake today.

Baron Arald, King Duncan, and Horace and Cassandra stood on the other side, silent and still. Gilan and Pauline were beside him. The villagers gathered around as well, and for a moment, it was as though time had stopped.

Gilan nudged him in the side. He took a deep breath, digging his fingernails into his palm. Everyone else had already spoken, and now, it was his turn. He didn't know if he could find the words to say. He didn't even know if he could speak.

"I..." His voice broke and he closed his eyes, letting out a slow breath. God, Halt, you're going to give me a heart attack, even in death.

"My father was killed in the battle at Hackham Heath, and had it not been for Halt, I, too, would have been dead, along with my mother." He looked up, his vision blurring with tears. "I grew up with friends of my own, but it was Halt who took me in when the dream I'd had my whole life was shattered. In more ways than one, he was always there for me."

The silence was back, and he swallowed. "To Araluen, he was a hero, a legend. But to me...Halt was the father I never had. He always believed in me, when I didn't believe in myself." He squeezed his eyes shut and turned away, away from the stares. "If it weren't for Halt, I wouldn't be where I am today."

Gilan squeezed his shoulder, and he bit back a sob. The King stepped forward once more, and Will moved back, tossing the hood over his head.

It was unexpected, just as Crowley's was. In the blink of an eye, the man who had always cared for him was gone, and this time, for good. Pain, more painful than a physical pain, pierced through his chest, and it took every ounce of strength in him to keep standing. It had been less than a day since he'd talked to Halt last, and now he'd never get the chance again.

He's in a better place, he told himself. Halt had lived a hard life, harder than most. Perhaps death was a release for him, and yet Will couldn't get rid of the pain in his chest. His mentor, his friend, his father, was dead, and he, Will, was still alive.

Halt was gone. 

A/N: Sorry for any emotional damage, I don't even know why I wanted to write this.

But in a somewhat lighter mood, I'm a little over 6k into Gilan's series, just FYI, and I don't know how much longer this is gonna take 😅