Alone

THE CLICK OF THE lock was a grinding noise. His footsteps echoed across the room, and even as the wilted flowers lost their petals, a dull thud seemed to echo across the room.

"Halt?" He looked over as the boy approached from the hallway, a smile on his face as his eyes brightened. "You're alright! What about Horace? And Morgarath? Is he dead? Are we safe now?"

"Horace is fine." His voice was unnaturally loud, and he cleared his throat. "Morgarath is dead, Will." We're safe. The words clogged in his throat, and he couldn't force himself to say them. Not when they were the farthest from the truth.

"Halt?" Will's smile disappeared, and tears filled his eyes. "Why didn't you save me? Why did you leave me? Am I not good enough? Am I going to die?"

His vision blurred, and he shook his head. "No," he managed. "No. You're not going to die, Will. I made a promise, and I'm going to keep it. I'll find you. I swear it."

The tears faded, and his eyebrows drew together. "It's your fault," Will accused. "You never should have sent me away! You were ashamed of me, and now I'm captured because of you! It's all your fault, Halt!"

Halt coughed, covering his face. The words sank deep, and he closed his eyes. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "If I could do it over again, I never would have sent you. I'm sorry, Will. Please. Can you forgive me?"

But when he opened his eyes, Will was gone. The silence was back, and he was more alone than ever before.