Good Night, Dad

"HALT!" THE RANGER REACHED for his saxe knife, rolling out of bed and barging towards his apprentice's room.

"Will?" He pushed aside the curtain and paused, his hand falling to his side. There was no one else in sight other than Will. "Will, are you alright?"

His apprentice rolled over, muttering incoherent words. For the first time, Halt noticed the thin sheen of sweat on the boy's face. He set the knife on the desk and touched his shoulder. "Will, everything's fine. You're just dreaming."

Will shivered. "Cold..." he muttered. "It's cold..." A cold pit settled in the older man's stomach.

"Will." Halt shook the boy's shoulder. "You're not there anymore. We're back in Redmont. I'm here, Will."

His apprentice's eyes shot open and he jerked up, flailing his arms about, a wild gleam in his eyes. "Will!" Halt grabbed his hands. "It's alright, Will. You're safe."

"Halt?" Tears formed in the boy's eyes. "I...sorry, I just..."

Halt sighed inwardly and wrapped his arms around the boy. "They won't stop?" he asked softly.

"No..." Will's voice quivered. "They won't go away, Halt. I don't know what to do."

"Do you want me to stay in here?" The boy's head nodded into his shoulder as he shook, whether from fear or cold, Halt didn't know. "Alright. I'm here, Will. You're alright."

Will's arms tightened around him. The dreams had started since they'd arrived back to Redmont. The boy's time in Skandia had scarred him, and Halt wasn't sure the dreams would ever go away.

I should have found that blasted slave, Halt thought. Will didn't deserve this, and the fact that he'd never found the slave who'd given him the warmweed made Halt's blood boil.

He let the boy hold him for a while, and soon enough, the shaking ceased. "Will?" he asked gently. "Are you okay now?"

"I think so." Halt hid a smile at the sleepy tone in Will's voice.

"Let's get you back in bed. If you need me, you know where my room is." Will nodded as he let go, and Halt helped him back under the covers. "It'll be over soon, Will. Just hold on."

The boy nodded, his eyes blinking slowly. "Hope so," he said, sighing. "Thanks, Halt."

He smoothed Will's hair. "You don't need to thank me. I'm your mentor, Will."

Will nodded, his eyes drooping. "G'night, Dad," he mumbled. His eyes shut tight as his breathing slowed, and then he was asleep.

Halt stared at the boy for a long moment, frozen with surprise. He opened his mouth, but no words would come. Finally, he allowed a small smile on his face.

"Goodnight, son," he whispered.