Trick

The idea was inspired by solarishashernoseinabow and thelastranger from Tumblr :)

"A BIT RUSTY ON the sword, don't you think?" Gilan grinned as he blocked the sword. The man snarled, rearing back as he stumbled.

"You'll watch your words, boy," he sneered. "You think you can take me down?"

Gilan eyes the man's stance, from the unsteady grip to the wild swings, and shook his head. "No," he said. "I think you'll do that for yourself." The man lunged forward again.

He stepped to the side, watching in amusement as he spun around, desperately wobbling on his feet. With one fluid movement, Gilan raised his own sword, swinging it forward. The pommel struck the man's head with a resounding thunk, and he dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

"That was easy," he said aloud. The man didn't answer him. "Now, let's get you back to Meric, shall we?"

"I'm sure that's what you were planning," said a second voice. "But I'm afraid that's not going to happen."

Gilan whipped his head around, mentally cursing himself. It had all been a distraction, he realized, as the figures appeared from the trees. Halt would have been disappointed in him, and that thought only propelled the shame within him.

He forced his expression to remain neutral. "Nice to meet you, too," he said casually. In an instant, he snatched up his bow and for the arrows behind him. "But I'm afraid—"

He stopped mid-sentence, his heart sinking as his hand met empty air.