07

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐨. 𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞. 𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈'𝐦 𝐝𝐚𝐦𝐧 𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐄 𝐕𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐁𝐈𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘, 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐎 𝐌𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐘 𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐊.

When the clock on Andromeda's wrist hit 6:45 the sun had set for the evening. Protection of the secret was top priority. Humanity could become her downfall.

"Bro, do you have to bring the bloodsucker here?" Paul questioned. Jacob snarled at his packmate. What was he doing disrespecting his imprint like that? In Jacob's eyes it didn't matter what her species was, respect needed to be given, especially from a friend like Paul. No wolf's imprint should be disrespected, no matter who they are or what species they may be. Jacob wouldn't let any comments like this fly again. Maybe once he expected it from one of his packmates, but now his hatred for vampires was surpassed by the care he felt towards his precious imprint.

"Don't you dare call her a bloodsucker, Paul, or we'll have a problem," Jacob threatened, wrapping his hands around Andromeda's waist. The vampire girl would have blushed if she could, but simply giggled at the comforting action. Her wolf mate smiled down at her as if she were the most beautiful thing in existence, and that was enough for her. "Andromeda is kind, compassionate, and a forgiving person. She isn't like those other vampires. Not like the Cullens or the people we hear about in legends. She wouldn't hurt anyone without cause."

Without cause was the phrase that the Volturi used for centuries to justify their rule. Why would benevolent rulers come without cause? Someone must have done a crime, or have been accused of treachery for the Volturi coven to get involved. They didn't have many laws, but the ones they did have were enforced with an iron fist nobody could compare. Yes, because Andromeda would not attack without cause, for it was not in her nature to do so. Born and raised on morals that many could not begin to understand. Always in the vampire public eye, Andromeda Volturi was, but never quite in the limelight. No chances to fail, she knew that.

While Windy took some time to shop in nearby malls, Andromeda and Jacob were here, in the middle of a place that doesn't like one of them. A pack of wolves and the daughter of Caius Volturi, the wolf slayer. It was a sight to behold, but Andromeda knew that if she played her cards right they could leave this place with some powerful allies.

"Can you translate for me again?" She asked her new boyfriend, who obliged. "I have no quarrel with you, wolves, and I wish for us to remain on good terms. Jacob is my mate and I will grow to love and care for him. He calls me his imprint, which must be the equivalent of a mate. From now on you will be under the protection of the Volturi, the leading coven of the vampire world. We protect the wellbeing of all vampires. While you are not vampires, you are a clear supernatural species that has a homeplace, meaning that we should help protect you from anyone who would wish you harm."

The wolves that had made their way into the center of the shifter territory stared wide eyed as Jacob translated for Andromeda. Protection? None of them could believe what they were hearing from this teenage vampire. One would assume that all vampires wished to take away what they loved most, but this one was offering to help them keep their territory, their freedom from potential vampires that had been attacking them. It was like a dream come true.

"Your territory is yours, not ours, and we will be respectful about that. I should have come with a warning, but I assumed that it would be okay as Jacob is a member of your people." Andromeda took a pause to look at the native people now listening in. "If you wish, I can help you get rid of any unwanted covens. They should not have taken residence here if the area was already claimed. That is against the law and they will be taken to court over this matter. If you give us the name of the coven, my father and uncles can help."

Sam Uley took a brave step towards the short girl, his eyes calm and calculated, making a decision. He knew this one was different, not judgemental like the ones before her. She held no anger, no hate towards anyone.

"It was the Cullens," Leah piped up. "I think they were called the Olympic Coven or something. I don't remember much. The leader's name was Carlisle Cullen."

"Olympic Coven, leader being Carlisle Cullen." Andromeda frowned at the knowledge given. She knew her uncle knew him, meaning that uncle Aro would have to put his own friend on trial. Heaven knew the man didn't have many of those to spare. "Do you know who he is?"

"Friend of my uncle. He'll be found soon, uncle Aro has his number. We'll get to the bottom of why they were here in the first place when clearly your people hate vampires. Plus, they exposed a human, remember? Two crimes."

Jacob turned back to his pack and family. "She knows who they are and they're already being taken to court over another offense, exposing a human to vampires. They exposed Bella Swan a while back, if you remember."

"That's illegal?" Sam asked. Andromeda understood and pulled Jacob back to face her.

"Yes. We have very few laws but one of them is that we can't inform any humans of our existence. My biological father, Charlie Swan, isn't allowed to know about me being a vampire. If he were to find out he would either have to die or be turned into one of us to keep the peace, keep both vampires and humans safe." She waited a few moments to give Jacob some time to catch up before continuing, "It is not our goal to put humans in danger. The Volturi lure in the worst of the worst to eat, not innocent people."

It was one of the many things that Andromeda took great pride in. Her diet was not one that she would have chosen, but knowing that she could take out some horrible people made it worth everything. Every drop of spilled blood was sinful to the core, and she liked it that way. It helped her keep her morals that her mother had taught her during her childhood in the safe tower her mother stayed in. Andromeda remained faithful to her values, even if they were greyer than many.

"We are the peacekeepers, not the villains," Andromeda reminded them, almost as if she had to remind herself of that fact as well. "And if you need my help I'll always be here."

There were many reasons that the Volturi were the ruling coven. Not only do they have strength, they are masters at building relations with other covens and people. To keep the peace you must have your tongue be a weapon or a tool, switching back and forth and everything in between. Everything clicked together and worked, they had to have it that way. The Volturi do not simply show up without reason. They help, they heal, and they work for the people.

"This vampire is different," Jacob defended his imprint. "Andromeda is different. She doesn't wish death on humanity. She could have killed someone already but she didn't. That may be the bare minimum but that's just how it is. You haven't seen it, but I have, and I care about my imprint."

"Do we have proof that it'll stay that way?" Billy questioned. "These creatures are volatile."

"She'll look forward to earning your trust, Dad, but for now we need to give her the benefit of the doubt."

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•