11

CAIUS VOLTURI IS NOT THE KIND OF MAN OR FATHER YOU THREATEN

CAIUS VOLTURI IS NOT THE KIND OF MAN OR FATHER YOU THREATEN. When or if you do, more than life or reputation is at stake. A thousand dutiful years under his wraps and still he wondered why people continue to defy him.

Consulting his ever-doting brother did not contain the fury that fueled him to fly to Forks and give that idiotic human girl a taste of his mind. A taste of his dangerous fangs. A taste of what the second-hand fatherly hurt does to a millenniums old vampire king.

But he would miss Andromeda's return. He hadn't left her side since her turning— he couldn't bear the thought of her alone after such an event. Burning embers of distrust and fearful worry over the image of his little girl frosted away the mention of torture and the Americas— he couldn't subject the princess to such a display.

Andromeda couldn't grow cruel as he had. Disappointment and mutual fear wouldn't be their bond. It was Caius' duty to protect her.

That meant her heart, so sweet and undeterred by animosity amongst any group, had to be featured in loving memory.

As for the dutiful wife he so adored, Athenodora prepared her only child's return with gifts and a promise of celebration. It had been so, centuries prior, when the three kings of the Volturi came back home after supernatural conquest— so the present would reflect the sentiment of overwhelming comfort of a leader's return.

She was heir, a piece of history, and would be judge over their very lives once Caius was sure her maturity matched the requirements.

But he was worried. Terribly so. His hands clenched whenever he thought of that girl's name. Isabella Swan, a beautiful name for a bitch of a young woman who dared talk so badly about her own twin sister. A twin who should have been able t0 bond with the only biological family that wanted her.

It wasn't the simple nature of disrespect for his daughter, however, that he so worried about. She knew about vampirism and the nature of them. Caius paced in his room, ready for the meeting over the phone about the subject of the law. The Volturi had to be strict while still valuing life.

Isabella Swan went and made that complicated.

"I've spoken with Carlisle about this matter before, you know," Aro spoke comfortable Italian over the phone, "He has assured me that no human should know about us unless the prospects of a mate match have come in the way of our laws. Are you sure she was not mistaken about the nature of the relationship? Or if she found it on her own? You know how humans are these days— their technology and such."

Caius scoffed loudly. "Humanity couldn't have known about us my dear brother. Humanity is intelligent, heartless, and often cruel. Coming fr0m that note, this disrespectful little—" The king took a deep breath before moving on, "She must be tried. At the courts. Andromeda knows what she's said. Knows what she did."

The aged vampire knew his brother's allegiances: Aro remained loyal to Carlisle after all the years apart. This was no game to the man, he would get his justice whether or not his younger brother liked it, or enjoyed the way he did it.

"I just want you to reconsider the severity of this. Your pride is wounded for her, but she's a woman grown. She has a mate now, get to know him before using the anger I love you for. Let us spend St. Marcus day in peace," Aro begged slightly with a lilt of expectance.

There would be no disagreements then, and Caius hung up the phone with a sigh.

...
ANDROMEDA HATED PLANES.

She'd nearly died in a few during years past, her blood pressure rising from the stress of takeoff and landing. Plenty reassurances wouldn't shake the disdain for being trapped inside a flying metal box.

The woman had been gifted the ability to fly upon her turning, how ironic. Andromeda used it sparingly, mainly during the trainings her father set up with Jane and Alec, who found it cute rather than dangerous. That was, until Andromeda got the better of them and managed two killing blows upon them.

Being inside the contraption got her thinking of the trip, how Andromeda had gotten barely anything of what she'd wanted from it. A second home with Charlie, perhaps, but Isabella Swan was a petulant child. Andromeda hated thinking about her like that, especially when her biological father had made her out to be a shy but sweet girl. How wrong he'd been, and it pained her to know that he would be left there with her. Kicking her out when she didn't have a job wasn't his idea of good parenting.

Andromeda never wanted to see her again, honestly. The insults, the manipulation, the illegal destruction of sentimental property... Bella ruined her chance at having a sister.

The hugs she wanted to recieve during her arrival were tainted by the reason she'd come home so early— and her Papa's scowl said it all. Marcus, who'd been the mediator for centuries, wore a grimace when he laid eyes on his niece.

Things aren't secret in Volterra, the law can't be held in privacy.

Yet when with her family she felt safe, loved, and as if nothing bad could be said between the three of them. Now there was a fourth, her mate. A werewolf of sorts, and her papa would have to understand that. Andromeda loved for nothing but her Coven, her family.

These were her kin, in disarray.

Aro wouldn't let the public see that, though.

Windy left the plane first, making her regards to her fellow Volturi and giving a formal handshake to Aro, who didn't look at her for long. The young vampire was disgusted with the circumstances of her early arrival. She seethed the whole way home to Volterra. She ranted internally about every small thing that Isabella Swan did in her presence. Windy hated that girl, loathed every second of time they spent in the same room.

Now Aro knew this. His mind gift saw everything.

"It is so pleasant to have you back home, niece," Aro signed to her kindly. His eyebrows were furrowed as he glanced at her papa, who returned the glare.

"I am sorry I had to come home early, I know throwing this together must have been inconvenient," Andromeda apologized and hugged her uncle tightly around the waist like a child coming back from summer camp.

When she pulled back she witnessed her uncle's solemn smile.

"These events are disturbing, Andromeda, and I have seen what Windy has thought and witnessed as if I were there myself. I must applaud your patience and kindness to someone who doesn't deserve such. I will have to make a few calls and may be late to the celebration." His plans were set, and his heart dropped at the idea that his old friend could have allowed for this breech of standing law.

Her uncle kissed each knuckle before walking away, heart heavy and eyes darted towards the door.

When Caius Volturi saw him leave, he knew he would welcome back his child. His daughter of whom he loved dearly. He had to stop himself from showing his anger and frustration.It wasn't jealously that overwhelmed him in the moment. Charlie was his daughter's biological father, one who truly did want her but thought her dead— he was a good man in a horrible position.

Below the anger with Charlie's other child, Caius felt guilty. He wished that infants had memories that Aro could have tracked. He selfishly loved Andromeda even when there was a home that desired her, would have done anything for her. Charlie was a man whose child was taken away by a woman, his own wife. Caius held that guilt then and there, looking into the bright red eyes of his barely-adult daughter.

Andromeda had two homes, and sooner or later she'd have to leave the first one yet again to stay in the second, to keep that second family of hers safe. Caius had no control over their laws, especially their precious ones— but he felt he shouldn't think about this when his daughter was in his embrace, her small hands on his back begging to be lifted up into the air.

She relented after a short while, giggling loudly.

"Welcome home," he signed aggressively, words unable to be spoken in the public eye buried deep within. "Your mama and I have missed you. Did Charlie treat you well?"

"Where is she? Where is mama?" Andromeda asked.

"She is returning home tonight. Her and your aunt Sulpicia were getting you an outfit for the St. Marcus Day parade. Our local dealer became ill, so they had to travel quite a ways during the daylight." Caius was unhappy about this, about Aro's sudden insistence that they buy it so soon in advance, and when Andromeda was coming back. "You have been treated well?"

"My father treated me with kindness and welcomed me graciously into his home. Despite the events that occurred, our relationship is not damaged, and I wish for him to come to Italy to meet everyone. Staying within the laws, of course." Andromeda paused for a moment before continuing, "Jacob insisted that he help get our bags out of the plane. He has the directions and wants me to wait for him inside."

"He must be a hard worker. He must only take yours and his, as he shouldn't miss the celebration. The rest do not know of your bond yet," Caius explained.

"They don't know? You didn't tell them the news?"

"Well, it was short-notice and Marcus thought it best to celebrate it at your arrival party."

"Well, fine then, but don't let them stampede over to him and ask the most ridiculous questions. I love everyone but sometimes Afton is nosy and Jacob is quite protective of me— and if I'm uncomfortable he will be as well."