14

THE ENTIRE VOLTURI COVEN FELT THE TENSION BETWEEN THEIR RULERS

THE ENTIRE VOLTURI COVEN FELT THE TENSION BETWEEN THEIR RULERS. Each stood firm in their decisions at all times. Caius wore his opinion on his smile, or rather, his frown. His brothers were secretive in their feelings, but the glassy eyes of Marcus forced many members of the once cheerful family to realize that not all was well within the Coven.

Andromeda felt the split feelings, saw the silenced tongues in the throne room. While her papa might have wanted her to be protected from infighting and quieted rage, the young woman understood more than she ought to.

Her twin sister, a menace to society in her eyes, had become the source of all her recent troubles. Each sullied word that she couldn't hear, the pure disgust and hatred, it fueled Andromeda to have opinions she didn't want. Reason was clouded by the rejection of her own kin. Kin that should have been family, could have been good to her if she so wished it.

The feeling of hate was mutual between them now. She had turned to an emotion of choice just as her papa had. Andromeda absolutely despised her sister and perhaps she even wanted her dead. Those thoughts, terrible ones that followed her off the plane and into the comfort of her home and castle, crept into her new normal.

Andromeda's pale hands lingered on the edge of the wall. Her eyes glassy and tired, hair unnaturally perfect and straight.

The girl watched as each father figure she'd held in her life stared down at each other as if they were all the monsters of nightmares, unworthy of decisions and unable to come to agreement. They'd not become this way often, so stubborn and cold towards one another, but when they did it was a vicious sight and cycle.

All because of you, she hated reminding herself, This family would have been stronger if you'd not gone and ruined things.

Holding your tongue is easy in theory, but being disrespected when you're used to admiration and welcoming hugs and actions is distasteful for one's pride. Andromeda wished she'd reason with herself in a helpful way, but alas, she was left with nothing but the hint of dark thoughts.

Her papa was the first to sign: "Isabella Swan has broken the law and could have outed us to her father. If she were any other human, we'd have tracked her down and killed her already. Why have we not?"

Her uncle Aro dared not look his brother in the eye. He knew the answer, and Andromeda knew that his heart mourned for the friend back in America, who must have known and loved this girl enough not to tell him about her.

Marcus was a statue in his chair. Marble bone and golden chains.

"Andromeda is the sister that we love," the heartbroken king reminded his brothers, "I hold no love for any other child. I don't think she needs to be killed for ignorance, however. We have time, all the time in the world."

"What will be the consequences of our inaction, Aro? Marcus? What will happen when Carlisle finds out we know? Will he do this again, allow one of his children to find romance with a human yet leave them alone to wallow without their immortal comfort?" Her papa signed, suspicious of their motives and what was to come for their future.