18

OVER THE PAST WEEK ANDROMEDA HAD GOTTEN BACK INTO HER USUAL ROUTINE, WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF SPENDING FREE TIME WITH HER FATHER AND JACOB

The couple decided that things should move slow, that the move to Volterra for Jacob would cause at least a small disturbance with him. Her boyfriend, when not with her, said he was making friends with the Guards and swapping stories about their lives. Andromeda was so glad that he would begin to make friends in Italy, with the vampires.

It was time for the preparations. St. Marcus Day was approaching and the Clocktower helped fund plenty of the events around the community with their vast wealth and influence. Andromeda's task was to go with Windy into the shops and tell them how many tourists were estimated to come this year. Windy had been a dear and done the numbers.

Every year, the decor, the invitations to Italian politicians, and to the church went out. Andromeda supposed this was how they stayed out of sight. Legally, she was a daughter of Caius VIII and his wife, Athenodora. Governments didn't ask why the family were having consistently three sons, and why they were all named the same names. Although, last year Andromeda overheard a nun compliment the family over their names, stating that the name Marcus was holy and that it was synonymous with glory in Volterra.

Windy did the numbers, like the gem she was, and estimated that around twenty-thousand out of city or country individuals were going to this year's parade. Since Vampire Lore was becoming popular in the modern age, more and more young people were coming to take part of the celebrations. Andromeda often couldn't figure out if the teenagers thought it an ironic celebration of superstition or not.

So, due to these estimations, Windy and Andromeda went into the shops and met up with the woman at the counter. They both smiled, with Windy doing all of the talking during this exchange. Most of the shopkeepers that knew of the secret did not know sign language yet. Andromeda couldn't blame them for it, she was in fact the first recorded deaf vampire to ever exist.

The exchange went over quickly, with the robes, masks, and cross necklaces being ordered in abundance. There were always a certain amount that the Volturi funded for the masses, but of course, they could not fund everybody's. It's a well known fact that if you come late in the day, you will be spending at least 50 Euro to make sure you don't look odd in the crowd.

Windy tapped on her shoulder as they sat down in a shaded area near the beach.

"What?" Andromeda signed before sighing.

"People have been talking about your sister in Forks," Windy confessed. "I think some people have figured out she's a human."

"Of course they have." Andromeda knew that the secret of the future trial on her sister wouldn't stay a hidden fact for long. Not with the way the Volturi operated. Afton knows everything and he's nosiest when things seem off. "Do you know what they say?"

"That she is human and that the Cullens are covering it up. They're really close to the truth. I know they left her there, but it's still against the law. Nobody is against the law."

Windy was correct and Andromeda knew this. They'd often discussed the law before the princess had turned. Windy was the one obsessed with rules, even from a young age, as she's told her many times. Her gift may have gotten her a leg up in recruitment, but it was her attitude that made sure she would be an asset.

"If one is above, everyone is above. That is why the law is the highest authority to all," Andromeda signed the first lesson Aro had given her as a child. She was so small in her seat. Aro used to furiously write on the chalkboard before he was fluent in sign language. Whenever stressed she wishes for those easy times where everything made sense.

"Aro's right. I wish the Cullens weren't so abrasive with their beliefs. Even those Shifters seemed to understand where we came from." Windy rolled her eyes. "Those Shifters need a place in our laws as well, now that we are aware of their existence."

With the addition of them into the Volturi Coven's legal system, Andromeda knew that they'd have a leg up when it came to disputes. Jacob had explained the territory problem with her, that his people had lived there for thousands of years and had it taken over and colonized by not only settlers but by vampires.

Andromeda believed that pack deserved better, despite what other vampires may say about his species.

"The territory will likely go to them if taken to our courts," Andromeda noted. "What matters most is time when it comes to claim. But you know this. The Cullens have little claim past the century before this. They will have to leave the area."

"They're in New York right now. That's neutral ground since it's such a big city. They could move to London, Dubai. They've got the Denalis up in Alaska that they're allied with as well. Makes you wonder why they chose Forks." Windy stopped for a moment before grabbing her coat off of where she'd set it down.

Andromeda had wondered this when she found out about the Cullens and the Shifter Pack. It puzzled Jacob as well, and Andromeda decided then and there that he would have to be there for any hearings. He could potentially be representing his species, but she would have to discuss that with her uncle Aro. He was quite particular about those things.

If he did say yes, they could have a separate branch of their Coven dedicated to Jacob's decisions on his people's behalf. Once upon a time, before the Children of the Moon became fractured, lawless beasts, Aro had offered them that. Although, that went up in flames, or so her papa claimed, when he and her mama were attacked while hunting.

The wolves would never do that, not with Andromeda being the mate and imprint of Jacob. It would be cruel of them, she decided, and she didn't ant to think so poorly of them.

Andromeda was tapped on the shoulder again by Windy.

"We have to bring over the baskets to the church so they can pass out the verses at mass, remember? We made them so pretty this year."

Andromeda nodded, giggling as she and Windy sped over to the castle without being noticed by any roaming human. Most were inside shops or inside their homes making crafts or preparing for their children's lunches. The city was lively, but in ways that were so domestic and cheerful. Those qualities were precisely why Andromeda never wanted to leave.

Despite the city being the heart of her life, her home was the soul. She stayed in the gardens while Windy went up to grab their baskets. Andromeda adored the plentiful flowers in the gardens, as well as the plants that were donated to the large community church every Sunday.

Such fond memories of her childhood, of her papa bringing her to the church every Sunday to do the donations. Seeing the priest was a wonderful time, he was a kind older man who knew the secret. Her Uncle Aro had been friends with his family for centuries, most were in the marketplace these days selling their locally made goods. Soaps, flowers, and more. Andromeda made a mental note that she'd need to visit the outdoor shops this weekend with Jacob.

Nothing interesting would happened that day, in Andromeda's eyes. Even as she left for the church, she held a deep comfort in that peaceful aura.

Things that she might have found boring earlier were now calm. The bustle of the festival would likely burn her out, she just had a feeling about it.

Despite what could happen, Andromeda wanted to love this year's festival. It was her first St. Marcus Day with Jacob. Even when they'd only been together for a few weeks, that had to mean something for the two of them. A mated pair doing what they needed to on that important day.

Nothing would ruin that for her, for them.