20

THE PRINCESS HAD SERIOUSLY UNDERESTIMATED HOW DISASTROUS THIS DAY COULD HAVE BEEN

She'd gotten a text around noon from Afton that he heard yelling in the throne room. Her papa was furious and from what it sounded like, her sister had dropped herself into the country.

Andromeda didn't know whether or not she felt sickened or furious. This had been her day, her time of year to hang out with Jacob by the beach while the city was filled with people. Nobody would see them in the sun, see her skin shining away like she was an oversized disco ball.

Jacob tried to tell her that she didn't have to go, that he could go in her place since her past with Bella was still fresh. Bella might have listened more to Jacob, but Andromeda insisted that they both rush back to the castle, which was only a short distance away.

The woman slammed open the door to the throne room, knowing that she didn't need permission to come in.

Andromeda was infuriated by the scene in front of her. Edward had come back, seemingly, and now Bella and Alice were here as well. She hadn't met the two new vampires, but she knew of them.

What a horrible reputation the two of them had gained over the years. For so long, they'd become the laughing stock of the lower guards that had come across them. Andromeda didn't like to gossip, didn't judge that often, but ever since meeting her sister she wondered if they were right. The lower guards didn't slander people.

There was too much going on, their voices unable to be heard. She tried to make out what her papa was saying.

Jacob had to take the lead for her, like he'd offered to. Andromeda knew that he would be her ears, would explain whatever happened later. The guards would make sure that Charlie didn't get involved.

"You've got a lot of nerve coming here, Bella," Jacob seethed as he stepped forward. Andromeda was perfectly safe within these walls and could handle being away from him for a moment. "After what you did? What you said? You're lucky that you aren't dead."

"What are you doing here, Jacob?" Alice questioned him.

"Your kind hate the vampires," Edward seethe. "You're a traitor even in your own pack."

"You two have no right to question me. Believe it or not, my imprint and I have been spending some lovely quality time in her home city." Jacob rolled his eyes as he tried to figure out what he would do. "You really know how to ruin a holiday, don't you?"

Bella was silent, her eyes sullen. She hadn't slept in days, Jacob knew it, and she looked disgusting. Her hair was oily, her skin clearly cracking due to lack of care. Where had she gone once Charlie left? Jacob hadn't bothered to ask the sheriff, thought it was too personal for him to ask after everything that happened in his life.

The man lost two daughters at one point. Now he could have one.

"If you guys don't stop shouting at one another, Charlie is going to hear. We can't risk the secret with him," Jacob mentioned.