13

FORKS FELT LIKE A CAR CRASH

FORKS FELT LIKE A CAR CRASH. The turning, the slow churning sounds grumbling from down below; Isabella wanted the death.

This was no swift demise. She hadn't talked to anyone in weeks, locking herself in her room and only coming out when Charlie dropped off food at her door. He refused to look her in the eye after he chose the daughter he barely knew, the one who murdered people on a regular basis.

Andromeda had successfully turned the car of her life over and now she was crushing it in her grip. Jacob, Charlie... there was little else the vampire could take now but her life. Bella didn't even want to live anymore, but that was what she left her.

Don't give her the satisfaction, Isabella thought as she pulled the covers over her head. She wants to ruin your life still. She'll figure out a way. Even when I don't think there's anything worth it in my life, she will manage to take it away. I didn't think I needed Charlie and now that he's gone...

She shook her head as her eyes watered horribly, staining the corners of her eyes with red.

...

THERE WAS A GHOST IN THE HOUSE. Charlie didn't believe in the Supernatural, not really. So many things could be explained by science. He hated science in school. That didn't matter much now, not now that Bella was locking herself in her room.

Charlie would admit that he hasn't been a good father, though, he wasn't given much of a chance to be. Renee wanted Bella, and she had the money to take her, even when Bella didn't really want to leave Forks.

The policeman never thought there would be a time where he understood parents who kicked their children out of the house. His overwhelming love for his daughter overshadowed her faults a year ago, now it seems to be the other way around. There were no issues with the depression, he would care her though that, but the way she treated Andromeda changed the way Charlie saw Bella.

His ex-wife had raised a selfish person. More and more Charlie can't seem to shake the eerie similarities between the two women. Renee had been entirely dependent on him by the time she left high school. No ambition, no drive. She'd been depressed after children and Charlie was sure she didn't actually want the girls. And instead of taking care of their sick daughter she threw her away.

Just like Renee, Bella threw Andromeda away.

Charlie wasn't sure that he could handle that kind of a person in his house. The kind that leeches off of you. She was depressed, sure, but she'd never been independent, even before Edward. At seventeen she couldn't drive, outright refused to learn at eighteen. She was nearing nineteen and Charlie wasn't sure he could even afford Bella. He had to take time off of work to feed her, to make sure she didn't do anything rash.

He dialed the number he'd written down nearly a year ago and was surprised when the woman on the other line picked up.

"This is Renee, who is this?" His ex-wife answered.

"Hey, Renee, this is Charlie. Look, I think we need to talk about Bella." He knew that her face soured on the other line. "Bella isn't doing well here. After her breakup she's been doing worse. Ever since I met up with Andromeda-"

"Who is Andromeda? Do you have a new girlfriend, Charlie?"

He'd forgotten to tell her. Or, moreso, he was too wrapped up in his plans with Andromeda to think about the woman he found out got rid of her.

"She's our daughter, Renee. She isn't dead, she's alive and she came to visit me. That isn't the issue right now-"

She cut him off again, "She's dead, Charlie! She's lying to you! Our daughter was sick, she died when she was five months old. I was the one who found her."

Charlie grumbled and muttered, "You were the one to give her up because you were too selfish to care for her. She's alive and we did a DNA test."

"Does she know about me?"

"She doesn't want to meet you," He explained. "This isn't what I called you about, Renee. Bella has been acting terrible for the past six months and I don't understand why. She was perfect at first, then she got her heart broken. It sucks, I empathize, but her behavior isn't normal and I cannot continue to care for her at my age. I have to work for my retirement."

"So you thought you'd call me to complain, huh?"

"I'm not complaining, I'm communicating that I cannot care for our adult daughter who at her age should be able to care for herself. She should have tried college or gotten a job by now. I've offered her internship at the station, but she just sits in bed all day!"

A scoff rumbled across the line. "And what do you expect me to do, Charlie? Take her back to my house? I have a life too!"

"She needs help, professional help. I don't think she's stable but I can't afford any of the options avaliable."

"So you just want my husbands money? Are you freaking kidding me, Charlie? I left her there with you and now you want my money? She's an adult, you don't get child support. Not like you ever paid for child support anyways."

"I paid all of her medical bills, paid for every single extracurricular, and paid for plenty of gifts and presents. Unless you didn't give those to her I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I'm telling you right now Renee that you decided to go through with the pregnancy, so you get to be a mother for the rest of your life. I have cared for her for the past half year and I am not financially or emotionally able to do this anymore! You are going to take her to a residential facility or I'm afraid she's going to have to be on the streets. I am at my wits end and I have no other options here. She's going to know why if she gets kicked out. Just like the reason why her life was uprooted in Phoenix, it's because her mother was too selfish to think about anyone other than herself."

He slammed the end call button.

And he hated both of them.