Chapter 1

hey guys i deleted my sammy fanfic because i wasn't feeling it but this johnson fanfic is going to be SOOOO EPIC! so please give it positive feedback and read and vote:) thanks loves:))) 

Hailey’s P.O.V:

My mom pulled out one of my ear buds, making me turn to look at her.

“We’re here.”  She said.  

I took out my other ear bud and turned off my music.  

I got out of our truck and looked at our new house.  It made our tiny little one story house back in New York look like a dump.  

“Wow.”  I said.  “I know, amazing, right?  Surprisingly, they weren’t even asking for that much.”  My mom replied.  

I went around to the trunk and opened it.  I got out my big suitcase, took the silver key from my mom, and unlocked the front door.  

‘Whoa.”  I breathed as I looked around.

There was a spiral staircase leading up to the second floor, the kitchen was all granite, and all the floors were hardwood.  There was furniture already in every room.  I set my suitcase down on the floor and took another long look before going back out to get some more bags.

I passed my mom on the way out as she lugged her suitcase inside.

 I went over to the open trunk and got out two big duffel bags, slinging them over my shoulder.  

Suddenly, I heard shouts.  I looked to where the noise was coming from and I saw a group of teenage boys piling out of the house next door.  

Great.  I thought to myself as I walked back towards the house.  Noisy teenagers.

 Just what I need.   

I brought the bags inside and put them down by my suitcase.  When I went back out, I saw the boys getting into a black Jeep and driving away.

My mom came back out as I was closing the trunk.  “I brought in the rest of the bags.”  I told her.  She smiled at me.  “Thank you.”  She said.  I put an arm around her and we went into the house again.

                                                                      *

For the rest of the day, I helped my mom put everything away.  

I hung my clothes in the closet, put all my other belongings away, and dusted the rooms.  There were three bedrooms and two bathrooms, even though it was just me and my mom.  We moved from Queens, New York, to Omaha, Nebraska…which was in the middle of nowhere.  

The reason we moved was a complicated one.  My dad had been physically and sexually abusing me for years…hitting me, kicking me, punching me, slapping me, raping me, you name it.  He had a very bad temper, especially when he was drunk.  He also hit my mom sometimes too.  It was getting so bad that my mom and I decided we had to leave.  We couldn’t stay here anymore.  So my mom filed divorce papers, we packed up, and we left as soon as we could.   

Back in New York, my mom worked as an accountant, and she made a lot of money off of it, and she was able to support our family, because my dad did nothing.   But when we decided to move, she had to quit her job.  So now she was unemployed and we didn’t have money coming in.  So I promised her I would find a job if she did and we would both earn money.  And now we were here.  This move was totally necessary for my mom and I to be safe, and I agree with everything she did.

 Now I was lounging in my new room, on the floor, I might add.  There were bedposts in every room, but no mattresses, sheets, or comforters.   

 “Hailey!”  My mom called up the stairs.   “I got dinner!”

 I walked down the stairs into the kitchen, finding my mom with bags with the familiar happy faces on them.  “You got Chinese?”  I asked her.  My mom nodded.  “We don’t have any plates or silverware or anything like that, so we’re going to have to eat it out of the carton.  We sat at the kitchen table, quietly eating our chicken lo mein.  “

We’ll go out tomorrow and get stuff for the house.”  My mom said.  “Okay.”   I answered.  “I uh, also got you enrolled in school.”  My mom started talking again.  “Where?”  “Westside High School.  You start on Monday.  We’re going to have to go out and get you school supplies too.”

 My mom looked closely at me.  “Are you nervous?”  She asked me.  I shook my head.  “Why would I be?”  “I don’t know, wouldn’t everyone?  Starting at a new school in a new town, having to make new friends.”

 “Mom, anything is better than being at home with Dad.”  I said.    She smiled sadly.  “I know baby, and I’m sorry I had to make you leave all of a sudden.”  

I took my mom’s hand across the table.  “Mom, what you did was right.  If leaving my friends and my school and my home was safer, then so be it.”  My mom squeezed my hand and we finished eating our dinner.

                                                                    *

Later that night, I told my mom I was heading to bed early and walked up the stairs to take a shower.  

 I went into my bedroom and got out my pajamas, which were my Mead Hill (my old school) girls’ basketball t-shirt and elastic shorts.  I then went into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

 Thank god there are towels.  I thought as I pulled one off the rack.  When the room got a tiny bit steamy, I undressed and hopped in.  I started to wash my hair and I hummed my favorite song, Seven Wonders by Fleetwood Mac.  As I shampooed and rinsed my hair, I felt a slight pain in my stomach.

 I sighed and looked down at the huge, long scar positioned diagonally across my stomach.   I shut my eyes and tried to block out the memory of how I got this scar.  

But I couldn’t.

 I couldn’t forget the way I came home from school and saw my dad holding a gleaming silver butcher knife.  I couldn’t forget me backing up and running for the door, and my dad coming over and stopping me from leaving. I couldn’t forget the way he spoke to me that very afternoon.

 “You are a burden that your mother and I have to carry in this house.  Nobody wants you here.  I don’t want you here.  You ruin everything.  And the only way to get rid of you is to kill you.”

 I remember my own father lunging at me with that knife.   I remember me falling to the floor.  And I will always remember my dad slicing my stomach open with the knife.

 I will be forever grateful to my mom for coming in the door from work at that very moment and stopping my dad from doing anything else.  

She drove me to the hospital and they sewed up my wound, but the doctor said I’ll always have a big scar.  I shut my eyes and tried to keep the tears from escaping.  I took a long breath in and continued humming my song.  

                                                                                   *

I took my shower and did everything else I needed to do to get ready for bed.  I said goodnight to my mom, went back into my bedroom and hopped under the covers.  I closed my eyes and tried to tell myself I would dream happy tonight, no more nightmares.  My dad was out of my life for good, and my mom and I can start fresh.  We can begin again.