Chapter 19

Hailey's P.O.V:

A day has passed since my dad showed up at my house. My mom called the Omaha police and they said that they will come in contact with the mental institution that my dad escaped from and the authorities from there will use air forces and cars to get to Omaha and take him back.

The bad news was, this could take about a 3-4 days. They needed to get everyone together and then drive down to Omaha from New York and with helicopters as well.

So for now, I was not going to school for the days my dad was here, for fear that he would follow me or something like that. I was still going to work though, but Jack was driving me there and back. He was also giving me the homework and assignments I missed and he would bring them to my house.

He was supposed to come any minute now with my missing assignments, then drive me right to work.

I sat on the stairs with a bottle of Coke in my hand, dressed in my work clothes, staring at the door.

I still couldn't believe my dad escaped and got all the way here. God knows how he arrived here. There was only one explanation for this...he came back for my mom...and me.

The doorbell rang now, startling me out of my thoughts.

I got up to get it and smiled slightly with relief when I saw Jack standing there, tons of papers and binders in his hands.

He flushed.

"Hi." He said softly.

"Hey." I answered.

He held out the homework I missed. I put it all on the hall table and then followed Jack out to his car.

I stared out the window as Jack started down the street.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked me, breaking the silence.

I nodded, still looking out the window.

"I'm getting there. But thanks though."

Jack didn't say anything else as we pulled into the diner.

Before I got out, Jack turned to me.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

I shrugged.

Jack nodded.

"Okay. Well, if you need to, I'm here."

I squeezed his arm now.

"Thanks, Jack." I said to him as I walked into the diner.

*
I waved to Ally as I quickly whipped out my notepad and began taking orders.

An hour or so passed, and the bell over the door jingled again, signaling that someone was entering. I looked up and my heart almost stopped when I realized it was my dad. He locked eyes with me right away and started to walk towards me.

I dropped my notepad into the linoleum floor and Ally looked at me questioningly.

"I-I need some air." I mumbled, rushing down the hallway and out the back exit.

I pressed myself up against the wall, taking yoga fire breaths.

What was he doing here? Invading my place of work? Intruding on me like this? He had no right. He was supposed to be locked up for his mental disease and out of my life.

The door creaked open and I jumped. It was my dad. I quickly backed away from him.

"Stay the hell away from me." I hissed, gritting my teeth.